1958 Golden Hawk Questions

Is the rear valance on a 1958 Golden Hawk body color or gray like the front piece under the bumper?

Also, any tips on getting the rear window gasket installed? The shop is telling me the new one I bought from S.I. seems too small and giving them a hard time.

Thank you!

Reply to
Michael - Roseland FL

Body color, and I don't know but after reading the FSM I suspect that lab coats and bow ties may help.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Body color. from what I understand the repro gasket is damn nearly impossible to install without trimming.

Michael - Roseland FL wrote:

Reply to
John Poulos

Reply to
Michael - Roseland FL

When I had the rear window put back in the car, using a new gasket, the folks doing the job swore that I shrank the car during restoration. I am not kidding. It was a week of screaming and yelling. They said that I shrank the car. Wayne Morris, Tony Carallas grandson was working for the company that was installing the rear window and a few other things. Finally he gave in and told the owner that I did shrink the car. "he sanded it while wet". It still shows the scars where the window area shrank.

BG

Reply to
Bill Glass

I only know from other doing it and posting on the News Group, don't know the details. I'll search the NG for you

Michael - Roseland FL wrote:

Reply to
John Poulos

Found this

The rubber is too big. I cut it at the bottom and took 3/8" out and re-installed it today. It was still a bitch to get in. In fact it is not perfect but it will do for a "driver." I will be carrying a weather strip on long trips and If I come across an "expert," I'll get it re-installed correctly. Three days of screwing around with it is enough for me. Thank gawd fer RTV.......

Michael - Roseland FL wrote:

Reply to
John Poulos

Doesn't rubber shrink when heated? Just a suggestion.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Aanderud

Since rubber stretches, I don't know how it could be too small. Stretch it over the window and tape it in place so it doesn't roll off the corners. Let it sit in the sun for a few days and adjust to the shape of the window.

Reply to
Alex Magdaleno