1963 Avanti

This Avanti listed as serial #4312 should have round head lights. I used to own #4785 and it still had round head lights but it did have pirate buckles on the door panael.

Reply to
Michael - Roseland FL

My Avanti, #4325, building record was written on 4/30, but had no final assembey date. It has round headlights and the pirate buckels on the doors, but most different is it has a total black interior...no fawn color anywhere. It is a 2 owner car, ordered from the local Stude dealer in Atlanta,Ga. It has the wood color steering wheel with a black column. None of this interior has been changed or painted...I've had it completely apart...the dash is tolaly original (black). I've been told total black interiors were not offered before June of 63. By the fact there was no final assembly date, makes one wonder if this was a "trial run" car that got held up in engineering, just to see what it would look like all black. IMMIC, I believe that once the square headlights came out, you could still special order a 64 model with the round headlights. Lots of weird things happened at Studebaker along this time. Dan Miller

Reply to
RoadRaceLark

I believe that the first square headlight Avanti was S/N 48XX, built in August 1963. For many years, there were no round headlight front panels available for use in repairing accident damaged cars. There were a lot of square headlight front panels available. Over the years, this has caused a lot of cars that should have round headlights to have square headlights.

Reply to
studegary

There were a lot of square headlight front panels available. Over the years, this has caused a lot of cars that should have round headlights to have square headlights.

...And has won me more than one beer on a bar bet with my squarelight #3672. I know it's not right, but I don't miss that tractor battery one bit.

Reply to
comatus