1964 Daytona Power Steering

I bought all new hoses and rebuild kits for the pump and control valve. After putting it back together, it was fine sitting in the shop at idle for 15 minutes. After a drive of about 15 miles it had leaked enough to drain the reservoir. I checked again and one of the new hoses was leaking. Since it was a return line, I cut it off and used a clamp. I also replaced the new seals in the control valve which are facing each other. I got the same results. It is fine sitting in the shop and leaks like crazy while driving it. Is there something I'm missing in the rebuild process or is a worn out control valve the most likely the culprit? Any suggestions on how to stop the leaking?

Thanks, Richard NTSDC

Reply to
jem0mej

Sometimes a fresh rebuild will require a bit of use to swell the rubber parts with some mild leakage...It doesn't sound like this is your situation tho.....The hose issue should clear up with correct clamping to reservoir...I'm afraid something went wrong with the valve seals....You need to open and check for seal distortion/damage and proper re-install.

Reply to
jbreen

You need to ascertain exactly where the leak is. It could be something really simple, like a loose fitting, a seal incorrectly installed, or it could be a worn out housing? Usually though, if it were a worn out housing, it would leak setting still. Sounds to me like a seal problem? I had a guy working with me one time who rebuilt one, pinched a seal during assembly. The thing leaked worse then it did before the rebuild, but only when driving. Apparently, wasn't enough pressure in the system while sitting at idle.

You might jack the front end up, have someone throttle it up a bit, and work the steering back and forth while your looking at it from underneath.

Bo

Reply to
64daytonaht

Sounds like you installed the seals in the control valve backwards.

Studeski Claude Chmielewski snipped-for-privacy@netzero.com

Fillmore, Wisconsin

1947 M16 Truck 1962 GT Hawk 1963 Lark 1964 Commander Wagonaire

"One after another they volunteered how in their families and in their communities they were expected to be responsible for their behavior, how honesty was assumed to be the rule, not the exception. They also talked matter-of-factly about the sense of duty to their country, a sentiment not much in fashion anymore."

Reply to
Studeski