My new '64 Daytona convertible is home

We left in the Ram 2500 a little after 6 am and bounced to Cleveland pulling the bouncing, banging empty car trailer (Pennsylvania roads leave a LOT to be desired). Got to the seller's house just about noon Turned out he was a local celebrity- the ABC Television morning news anchor- neat guy. He was selling the convertible (and the nice '64 Cruiser that Jim Bradley bought recently) because he is moving to New York. He is leaving a nice big house with a two-car garage and a long driveway for a NY apartment that he said would fit in his current living room. Anyhow, the car was/is gorgeous. I can't understand why more people didn't bid on it. As JP said, I "stole" it. I can't find any trace of rust or rust repairs. It's not perfect- we found four or five little chips in the paint. Actually, there were a few things I didn't expect, both good and minor irritations. It has a bad exhaust leak, the front springs are very weak and the rear convertible window zipper is messed up so it can't be closed (it does come with a new top). The clock doesn't work and the vanity is missing and the driver's door doesn't close very well. On the other hand, he gave me a bunch of spares, a new car cover and a full tank of premium. He has a complete history from when the car was sold new in Oxnard, California plus most of the service information on the car (production order is included). It still has one set of the original keys and a second set that are vintage replacements. I'll post more when I have rested up a bit (we got home about

7 pm- 650 miles covered in the 13 hours). Here are some pix I took just after I pulled in to my driveway. Paul Johnson
Paul Johnson

John Poulos

Paul,

It looks great. Mine will look like it when I get it back from the repaint, and minor bodywork. Mine started out Laguna Blue with brown interior. It will be red with red interior.

I wondered how many of the 701 that were built are left. Mine was built in Sounth Bend. Where was your's built?

Geno

64 R2 Avanti

64 Dayt> We left in the Ram 2500 a little after 6 am and bounced to Cleveland pulling

Reply to
jeep4cyl

South Bend, 10/9/63. The body number is 290, engine number is PK-307, VIN is 64V-10944. I'll take more pix in a day or two and post them. It is exactly as the production order reads- MODEL 64VL8 DAY 8 2 DR CONVT, PAINT 13 P 6418 BORDEAUX RED TRIM 14 958 RV 15 WHITE CONVERTIBLE TOP 20 AUTOMATIC FLOOR SHIFT 26 289 CU IN ENGINE 42 BUCKET SEATS RECLINING 51 WHITE SIDEWALLS 57 TITNTED GLASS WINDSHLD ONLY 60 CLIMATIZER 66 RADIO PUSH 70 UNDERCOATING 71 FRONT BUMPER X79 WHEEL DISC. It has Studebaker seat belts, but doesn't show either a charge or a delete. I think your changing to red/red is good. Laguna Blue isn't a convertible color (IMHO). Paul Johnson

Reply to
Paul Johnson

sweet looking car! glad you are happy with it. What's up with the single exhaust, though?

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Well, Nate, dual exhausts aren't listed as an option! Yes, they would certainly have built a 289/2bbl/single exhaust with Powershift automatic if that's what you wanted. Nothing special about that. Weird, maybe, but not special...

Confirmation: My 1964 Daytona hardtop was built as follows: 289,

4-barrel, 4-speed transmission, Twin Traction, bucket seats, and SINGLE exhaust! Go figure; the original customer (it was an ordered car) saved $24 by specifying the 4bbl without ordering the Power Pack combo that would have included dual exhausts....

Studebaker people have always been weird, Nate; it's nothing new BP

Reply to
bobcaripalma

Hmmm... they must have changed the option list over the years; IIRC in '62 a Daytona with a V-8 would have had dual exhausts UNLESS special ordered without them.

Speaking of weird, my '62 Daytona was ordered with a 289, 4-speed, manual steering, manual brakes (sounds good so far, right?) but a

2-barrel carb and one-legger 3.31:1 rear! Even odder, with only 24K miles on it it had acquired a pair of Smitty's glasspacks, so I'm ASSuming the dealer that was driving it appreciated a good V-8...

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Since it has a significant exhaust leak already, a new dual exhaust set is one of my first priorities. Paul Johnson

Reply to
Paul Johnson

I appreciate your drop out. I sniped high enough that it would indeed have cost one of us a lot more. The seller was expecting the bidder who tested his reserve to come back with a $20k bid.Paul Johnson

Reply to
Paul Johnson

Nate, my '62 Daytona HT came with a V8 and single exhaust.

259 V8, FOM, its long since been recycled (around 1979).
Reply to
transtar60xxx

Reply to
John Poulos

Not really, Nate. You may be getting Larks and Hawks confused. All 289 Hawks had dual exhausts regardless of carburetor. 289 Larks got a single pipe unless ordered with Power Kit or duals by themselves. Obviously, a 1962 289 Daytona without duals would be rare, but not impossible, just because most 289 Larks were ordered with duals.

Another example: The Plain Brown Wrapper. I was with Cousin George Krem the day he bought the car brand new in August 1964 (yes, it had been in stock eight months!). Of course, as an R3, it is a clone. But it was originally built with 289, 4bbl, and single exhaust. Really; he still has the window sticker to prove it. BP

Reply to
bobcaripalma

My car didn't have the 4-bbl, and I may be smoking the crack but I don't recall seeing duals on the build sheet. Perhaps the duals were standard with the 289 but not the 259? I do recall that the one exception was that Cruisers always got the single exhaust for some reason.

nate

John Poulos wrote:

Reply to
N8N

Well, Nate, somebody probably just added them. I mean, you didn't buy it new, did you? (I know you aren't old enough!). Both my '64 Daytona sedan and '64 Daytona hardtop have duals that LOOK factory, but neither car was built with them.

Reply to
bobcaripalma

When I ordered my '64 Daytona Wagonaire from Hamilton (after they canceled my South Bend order) I got dual exhausts with a 2bbl on a 259. I knew one dealer that ordered at least some Larks with 4bbl and single exhaust. There were all sorts of weird combinations out there. When I was looking for our Wagonaire a dealer in Kansas City had one with bucket seats, Powershift, 259 w/2bbl and single exhaust. It was ordered that way for a customer. One consideration as to why dealers may not have ordered dual exhausts was that they didn't last very long. Both my tailpipes and mufflers were replaced (under warranty) in the first year. Remember, this was BDSSS (Before Don Simmons Stainless Steel). Paul Johnson

Reply to
Paul Johnson

N8, in 1962 ALL Larks, no matter what engine, got single exhaust unless duals were sepcifically ordered.

Reply to
Lee