An Embarrasing Studebaker Problem

The 66 Studebaker was a barn find. The result of it's life in the barn was mice. The mice decided to pee in the car. I pulled the carpet and the unusually thick 1966 foam pad and tossed it. The car still smells like mice pee. It must be in the seats that are way to nice to take out. So, anyone have an idea on what I might be able to use to get rid of the smell? I tired ozuium but it did nothing.

Reply to
Michael - Roseland FL

go talk to your local funeral home..

they have available a deodorizer for use when a body has been in a VERY hot house, for like a week,,

did this to a brand x once, he came down, sprayed the car down really well, we closed it up and sit in sun for 4 hours.. the rotten mouse smell was gone TOTALLY..

OR.. find someone with a BIG ozone generator, put in car, turn on, and TENT THE CAR.. go away for 2 days..has to be pretty air tight, for however long..

they do this to burnt houses now to get the burnt smell totally out of the house materials.. --Shiva--

Reply to
me

There are several ideas out there, pet enzymes (expensive), vinegar mixes, baking soda, charcoal, bleach, "Odo-ban", etc. You might call Service-Pro, or other services that restore homes after fires or floods for some hints. Urine is very tough to get rid of - it has acid in it, and protein. The protein binds the odors deeply into almost everything - very tough to eliminate. Good luck.

Reply to
zoombot

***
Reply to
Jeff Rice

Mice like it up high. and dry... Double check above your headliner....

***
Reply to
Jeff Rice

Does ozone adversly effect some of the materials?

Karl

Reply to
midlant

I can look for it a little later, but I'm pretty sure there was a bulletin about a change in diameter for those driveshafts.

Reply to
Dwain G.

If you go to a sanitary supply house near you can buy a quart or maybe a few if it is bad as I think and buy an enzyme urine odor remover. Saturate every thing in the car with it hitting all surfaces where the pee may have been, even the headliner and the bacteria ill eat all the uric acid and bacteria that goes along with it. Find a "Big D" distributor to get it. Shouldn't be much more that $5 a quart. Good luck!

Reply to
A.Jarman

There are companies that specialize in removing, oders, blood, feces, cadavers from crime scenes. Infact while they don't discuss murder victims or car accidents, one company in thi ara advertises on TV.

Reply to
Bill Glass

Many years ago I pulled a car out of a field and had a similar mouse problem. Even after I removed the entire interior I could tell that something was still funny. I put mouse traps in the car and caught two of them over a week after I gutted the car. I think they were living in the heater ducts.

Reply to
BobWaitz

My '53 had had mice EVERYWHERE. They used the pass side windshield post as a access tunnel to the headliner. I later found nest material stuffed in the A post above the upper hinge that I had to pull out pc by pc with a hooked wire. Also had a nest stuffed in the frame that caught fire while I was doing some welding. That got my attention!

Jeff in ND

Reply to
JH

Back in the 1980's, my old Avanti developed a strange starting problem in that the starter drive sometimes would not completely engage the ring gear and I would have to repeat the starting process to achieve success.

One day while the car was jacked up for an oil change, I noticed that the access hole in the bell housing for the converter plug was blocked by "fuzzy" material. Turned out that some very small rodents had made a condo in the bell housing. I removed the starter and took out a ton of stuffing materials. Never had a problem with the starter after that...

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire