Another eBay Convertible

Yet another ebay Studebaker convertible, looks nice, except for the engine compartment. Kind of strange that they'd have rebuilt the motor and not redone the engine compartment while it was out. It was just listed and it's already near what I would have guessed for the final price; any predictions on closing price?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Studebaker-Studebaker-Commander-47-Studebaker-Convertible_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6466QQitemZ4629575696QQrdZ1
Yet another ebay Studebaker convertible, looks nice, except for the engine compartment. Kind of strange that they'd have rebuilt the motor and not redone the engine compartment while it was out. It was just listed and it's already near what I would have guessed for the final price; any predictions on closing price?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Studebaker-Studebaker-Commander-47-Studebaker-Convertible_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6466QQitemZ4629575696QQrdZ1
It wouldn't surprise me to see it go over $25k. It is indeed very rare. As you say, the engine compartment was certainly not restored in what was called a frame-up. I'm a little suspicious, too, when I see Lark wheel covers. It does have the '47-only bumpers, but the center "box" (license plate mount) on the front bumper is missing. Bondo would be the expert, but I don't think the interior is correct either. Having said all that, I'd snap it up in a heartbeat of I had the money. Paul Johnson

It appears to be one of those "Restored to be Sold" projects; not a true, authentic frame-off rebuild. A mentioned, the interior is incorrect, and I believe should be genuine leather, not a '62 Ford Falcon-like blue & white vinyl. It's no doubt a nice project for someone who wants to spend another 7-10K on it to go the rest of the way to making it a nice showpiece. This one reminds me of the one Ingvar Vik owns which was restored correctly back in the late 1970's.
Craig
I have to assume you are kidding about the 7K being about right. <g> If it sold for double that figure, I'd be surprised.

--
JP/Maryland
Studebaker On the Net http://stude.com
Dave's Place www.davesplaceinc.com wrote:

--
JP/Maryland
Studebaker On the Net http://stude.com

Dat's what I thought. <G>
--
Dave Lester
Dave's Place

I must be out of touch with the market place. I really figured a car like this would be in the $7000 to $8000 range, however checking the old cars price guide a #3 '47 to '49 commander convertible should be around $11,700. Based on recent ebay sales I have to agree that it will likely go higher than that.

I must be out of touch with the market place. I really figured a car like this would be in the $7000 to $8000 range, however checking the old cars price guide a #3 '47 to '49 commander convertible should be around $11,700. Based on recent ebay sales I have to agree that it will likely go higher than that.
Check the NADA valuation: http://www.nadaguides.com/uv/viewresults.aspx?LI=1-12-1-2031-0-0-0&Lnk=1&wSec &wPr=1&wPg 32 Paul Johnson
Only use the Old Cars price guide when buying, it's often 30-40% low on Studebakers and has not had a real been update in 5 years.
Dan Peterson wrote:

would be in the $7000 to $8000 range, however checking the old cars price guide a #3 '47 to '49 commander convertible should be around $11,700. Based on recent ebay sales I have to agree that it will likely go higher than that.

compartment. Kind of strange that they'd have rebuilt the motor and not redone the engine compartment while it was out. It was just listed and it's already near what I would have guessed for the final price; any predictions on closing price?

--
JP/Maryland
Studebaker On the Net http://stude.com
Don't tell the Vermont DMV, they use it to check the value of antique cars for purposes of computing the purchase and use tax (6%) when you go to register it. If you paid less, tough luck unless you have dealer fill out a valuatiion form, otherwise you pay on the category 3 value.

I wonder if this one will have the rusted out floors and sub-floor boxes like the yellow 60' that sold for $18K.....Yes, maybe someone at one time replaced the floors with flat metal, together with lots of screws and rivets, but for $18K, at least put in the Classic pieces, cut back all the rusted out original floor edges, and replace the sub-boxes.....! Can you imagine when that new owner gets to lifting those doors to get them to close, only to find the strikers & hinges are already fully adjusted to the limit.........BTDT........hey, buyer beware !
What yellow 18K 60 had "rusted out floors and sub-floor boxes" ? Dave's was a Arizona car that had a minor patch job on a weak section under the carpets, but far from drooping doors as far as I know. Maybe Jerry can comment. Here's a pix of the rocker boxes:
http://www.stude.com/60/DSC_0010.JPG.html
As to the Buyer beware comment, what was deceptive about Dave's comment about the floor repair:
"At some time in the past, the front floor boards were repaired with galvanized sheet metal, installed from above and secured with rivets and screws. This repair is solid, but I think such repairs should be done by welding in panels, and would have changed them if I had ever needed to pull the seats out and replace the carpet. As the carpet is fine, I never did this. I did carefully seal the edges of these panels from the underside to keep water out, and coated them with 3M rubberized undercoating to assure that there is no leakage."
You seem peeved that someone paid more then you thought the car was worth, but the going price is not set by you or I.
jbreen wrote:

--
JP/Maryland
Studebaker On the Net http://stude.com
I must make a group reply to jbreen. I've kept quiet until now, but when he makes assumptions about the car and posts them here, well, I can't keep quiet. Frankly, I take his comments as questioning my integrity, and I take that seriously. As shown in the photos, if one cared to look at them, the sub-boxes were solid on the yellow convertible I sold through John's ad. You can ask Jerry Kaiser, who is a respected contributor to this forum,he sold the car to me. The doors work smoothly and close correctly. I described as honestly and fully as I possibly could the condition of the car. Read the ad copy. I don't see many ads on eBay or elsewhere which list all the known defects like I tried to do. As I stated in the ad, had I done the floor repair, I would have done it differently. I did not restore the car, but I did fully describe its condition. The market determined the selling price of this vehicle. Perhaps Mr. Breen should step into the 21st century. Yes, prices are higher these days. That's just the way it is. But bad mouthing a nice car by implying that it has defects which it does not, because you think the buyer paid too high a price, is juvenile. There- it's off my chest. I'm done.
Dave

Glad you unloaded, Dave, now I don't have to. <G>
The buyer got his money's worth, and knew what he was getting when he bid on it.
--
Dave Lester
Dave's Place

I'm glad to see that this worked out. I don't believe that any harm was intended by either party. I will say that several of us, myself included, were surprised to see the car sell so quickly and at price one would expect would be for a condition #1 trailer queen. I have to give credit to JP and his straight forward ebay ads. I believe his ads evoke an air of trust and fair play based on his experience in the Studebaker field. These should serve as an example to others of how to best market a vehicle on ebay.