Another one bites the dust..(OT)

For years I have carried a small pocket knife. I usually end up breaking a blade or loosing the thing somehow after a while. I lost one recently and after looking for a few days gave up and went to good 'ol Wally World to buy another. I have been buying Schrade knives for years; liked the way they felt and were made. The knives were in a locked display and a salesman had to come and open it so I could look a them. The guy took one out of it's box and before I even touched it I knew things were not right... Turns out the thing is made in..yup, China.. I didn't buy it. Looked up Schrade on the net and it seems they have gone under after a LONG time making knives in New York. Their good name has gone to the "dark side". Another company name that no longer means anything. I bought a Case knife instead. I recon a lot of other people think the same about the "new" Schrade as ebay is full of old USA made Schrades bringing premium prices. Someone should start a list of companies that exist only in name in China...I would try to avoid them all. Studebaker George

Reply to
Studebaker George

Of all the lousy laws we have, at least the 'Country of Origin' law was a good one. A few years back, I was in a department store in Germany and noticed that nothing had the country of origin. Even cheap toy cars, which I could tell were made in China, had a blank spot on the bottom.

Reply to
keith_kichefski

I miss the Kabar kives from my youth - they had a locking blade knife that I loved, went through several of them. They made a great hunting & fishing knife, too.

Reply to
zoombot

Ka-Bar is alive and well at:

JT

(Who remembers such in a certain SE Asian country in 1965)

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

I do. Carried one for 13 months. In country '65-66. USMC 2147154 Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Forrester

The first mistake was going to Wal-Mart in search of a quality US made item in the first place. Like Harbor Freight & Northern, they are nothing but an outlet for Chicom merchandise. Over 60% of the items in Wal-Mart are from China, and if Wal-Mart was a country, it would be China's 6th largest trading partner.

Wal-Mart: Destroying America, one Main Street at a time.

Reply to
Barry

you want a knife now, you find a bladesmith that makes Damascus, and buy one.

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

The last Schrade I had was bought at Wal Mart about seven years ago well before Scrade went bust and sold the name to whomever. I don't like shopping at Wal Mart, but it's the only real "department" store in our county. At least it didn't kill any mom and pop stores as there weren't really any there! Problem is that now there won't be much incentinve for anyone to try and open one... Studebaker George

Reply to
Studebaker George

Yes... I was involved in "illicit trading" of Thompson(s) for Ka-Bars and other assorted wares as a sideline with our company armoror who was indeed a wheeler/dealer. And yes, 90% of the business came from the marines.

My main activity was in intellligence supporting OV-1 Mohawks. Another sideline was shooting aerial pix of potential LZ's for the local Marine commander.

JT

Jerry Forrester wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Of course, a real Marine knife is a Cattaraugus...

Camillus is gone, too.

I think you'll find the Ontario knife company of New York still in production. I don't think you'll find them at WalMart.

Gerber and Leatherman multi-tools have replaced most of the market for long-life, expensive pocket knives that you actually use. This leaves the niche for boy's toys, which were always made by the lowest labor-cost producer, even in the days when that was Germany.

Reply to
comatus

I agree with you about the Schrade knives. They used to be made just across the Hudson River (Walden/Wallkill area) from where I live. The knives were made in a very old factory building. I have a Schrade pocket knife that I have been using since about 1950. It was a Chrysler Master Technician award knife. It would probably be a collector's item except that I filed off most of the Chrysler award part of it in the '50s.

Reply to
studegary

I have been buying Schrade knives for

------------------------ They "went under" in 2004. The master cutlers who worked there are still in business, as Canal Street Cutlery. There's also Queen Cutlery, in Pa.

I'd keep my eye on Zippo. They haven't got a friend in the world.

Reply to
comatus