Another one bites the dust.

You know, we are perfectly capable of reading the article ourselves, without you cluttering up the newsgroup by copying it out verbatim.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Are there actually any British made vehicles left?

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

TVR to move car production abroad

TVR had earlier agreed to stay in Blackpool

TVR factory Sports car company TVR is to cease production in the UK, with the loss of 250 jobs at its factory in Blackpool. The move sees the company go back on an earlier agreement to keep production in the Lancashire seaside town.

TVR, which was bought by young Russian tycoon Nikolai Smolensky in

2004, said it was now in consultation with unions over redundancies.

The Transport and General Workers' Union said it was bitterly disappointed at the decision.

Speculation that the firm would move production to another European country had been growing since the start of the year.

It is now expected to open a new factory within the next three months.

This is a bitter blow for Blackpool and an iconic British sports car

Dave McCall, transport union

TVR: The end of an era

Yet only last month TVR said it would be staying in Blackpool, firstly at its current site in Bispham until 2008, and then at a new permanent home at Blackpool Business Park.

In April the firm temporarily stood down 71 members of staff because of flagging demand, which was said to have fallen from 12 cars a week to just two.

While TVR is renowned for offering high performance cars at a competitive price, it is also fair to say that its vehicles have suffered from reliability issues in recent years.

Established in 1947, TVR is Britain's largest independent sports carmaker.

It was founded by Trevor Wilkinson, who used three consonants from his first name for the company title.

"This is a bitter blow for Blackpool and an iconic British sports car," said Dave McCall, T&G North West regional secretary.

"It is particularly hard to take in after everyone's hopes had been raised just a few months ago, when workers who had been laid off were taken back."

Reply to
RapidRonnie

wanker

Reply to
Nige

OOOOOOOoohhh...

Did Mr Grumpy come and tweak your nuts last night?

Nemind that, who's gonna fix my engine if it breaks - bein' stil unner wowanty an all? Kin Ruskies?

Reply to
Mother

Icky

Reply to
icky

Thanks for posting the full text. It saved me from clicking on the link and reading the original article. Oh hang on, I'd already done that.

Reply to
Dave P

Same here, thanks.

I hadn't, being on a text-only terminal. Much easier to read it here!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

I really dislike the idea of just posting an unexplained link. It's the sort of thing that the spammers do.

Reply to
David G. Bell

Ditto, although a short paragraph is better than the whole page, that's what I normally do.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

On or around Thu, 19 Oct 2006 16:01:02 +0100 (BST), snipped-for-privacy@zhochaka.org.uk ("David G. Bell") enlightened us thusly:

I tend to post a link and a one-line description of same, so if it's not of interest people don't waste time clicking on it.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

"David G. Bell" uttered summat worrerz funny about:

I hate Ginger biscuits, they make me gag..... So I don't eat them.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

I thought your lot lived on cups of tea and ginger biscuits - at least that's what popular rumour says. :-)

Reply to
EMB

So that leaves only Morgan and Bristol?

Reply to
TF

There are quite a lot of other ones, all very small, Ultima are one for example, they make the highest performance road car currently available, even the Volkswagen Veyron can't keep up with it.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

On or around Fri, 20 Oct 2006 00:17:59 GMT, "TF" enlightened us thusly:

Bristol are the lot that amaze me. I can only assume they just have enough in the bank to survive on the interest, plus selling the odd car now and again.

I'd love to have one, mind.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

|| Lee_D wrote: ||| ||| I hate Ginger biscuits, they make me gag..... So I don't eat them. || || I thought your lot lived on cups of tea and ginger biscuits - at || least that's what popular rumour says. :-)

Nah, these days it's Red Bull and doughnuts. Move with the times.

Reply to
Richard Brookman