Debbie Reynolds Avanti

I e-mailed the seller about a few minor errors in the listing, i.e. "built in Canada", leather seats, Avanti II AC unit. Seems like a nice gal, just stuck on the Canada build thing. Got this back:

"Sir,

This car was a special make. We believe that the A/C and leather were added in the restoration process in 1989 by Southwest Avanti. We thank you for your knowledge and input. It is very useful to us, and will help us research the authenticity of the documentation further. We do have documentation that confirms the build in Canada. If there is anything else that I can help you with, please let me know. Thank you for your interest and knowledge.

Stacy"

John Poulos

Weren't Avanti's VIN numbers prefixed by RQ? IIRC, my old Avanti was RQ4500 and the engine # was R2999.

Richar Quinn could probably supply specifics.

It does look like a nice car though...

JT

John Poulos wrote:

--

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

--

Reply to
Malcom Gillette

She has passed a thorough mechanical inspection and comes with a limited power train service contract She is an awesome survivor!

The engine has a head gasket leak The supercharger is not functioning

Warranty Information Each vehicle undergoes a thorough inspection before it is put up for sale, enabling us to provide a Service Agreement on qualifying vehicles. This vehicle comes complete with a ninety day or 1,500 mile Nation-Wide Service Agreement, which ever comes first; please contact us for specific details.

I'm confused...besides the BS of "built in Canada"...they tell you the engine has a head gasket leak and th esupercharger isn't working...but also give you a warranty? Must be SOME warranty!! I know...it does say a "limited" powertrain warranty...but DAMN!!

Bob

Malcom Gillette wrote:

> --

Reply to
Bigbob62

> > --

Reply to
Robert Black

To be fair, down at the bottom it does say:

Engine: Head gasket leak & super charger is inopperative. Repairs are scheduled. Transmission: Transmission starts in second gear. Repairs to the linkage are scheduled. Headliner: Sagging a bit Sound System: Factory Amplifier: None Speakers: 2 Seat Surface: Leather Security System: None Tire Brand: Douglas Spare Tire Rating: Good

Mark

65 Cruiser
Mark Anderson

The build sheet is with "More Pictures". Are the AC 3289 L&R, listed as "81" & "82" on the build sheet, the fender mirrors? What is #88, AC 3310 L? Mike M.

Reply to
Mike

Has someone mentioned to the seller that any post-56 Stude automatic

*does* start in 2nd gear unless it has been modified?

nate

Mark Anders> To be fair, down at the bottom it does say:

Reply to
N8N

I think the '55's did also. At least my grandfather's '55 Pres State sedan did.

Chip

Reply to
cjdaytonjrnospam

Reply to
Mike

Reply to
mbstude

Nope, the '55 Prez starts in first gear...

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Reply to
John Poulos

Reply to
mbstude

All I want to know is how Debbie Reynolds installed A/C on an R-2. The underhood shot only shows the compressor . You can barely see it on the drivers side .It would be mounted above the power steering pump. Or are R-2's with air only available in Canada ?

Reply to
jflan63

Still more, although I'm working on explaining that car built in South Bend so a South Bend shipping on the build sheet. Their car was sent for show and retail delivery prep for a press release showing.

"Thank you. Here?s what I have and what I need.

I have ?..a tracking form (W704) dated 7/12/63 shipping our Avanti (Serial # R-4957) to South Bend for final assembly via shipper #151 for retail delivery 9/1/63.

Per the tracking form it is a model RQ 4370 Avanti, painted Avanti black (paint 13 P 6430), Engine # RHS 37), Avanti with trim (14 813 BKV), automatic (20), power steering (38), AM/FM radio (67A), rear speaker (68), AC3289 L&R (81), ac 3289 L&R (82), AC3310 L (88), Show Car Quality (465), Service for retail del 9/1 (92), Tag Press Preview (99).

Here?s what I need?.why would have been shipped to South Bend if it was already there? If it was shipped to South Bend could it have come from anywhere other than Hamilton, ONT?

We understand that major components were going to South Bend from Hamilton throughout 1963 with Hamilton being fully functional at the end of 1963 and the South Bend facility sold.

We?re just restating the information we possess and has lead us to our understanding and belief. We recognize that Avanti?s were never fully assembled in Canada and that their production was not moved there when South Bend shut down. However, we have not had anything tangible to counter our understanding and documentation.

Avanti?s did not come from the factory with both a supercharger and A/C. The A/C unit was added after engineers and Avanti lovers figured out how to fit both in the engine compartment.

The factory seats were vinyl and we believe these are the original seats, so they are not leather. The car did come with factory AM/FM Cassette as indicated on the build sheet. This was also noted in the appraisal done at Southwest Avanti by Wayne Francisco, a former National President of the Studebaker Drivers Club and former President of the Avanti Owners Association International. His appraisal, done when the documented mileage was only 22,098 valued the vehicle at $24,950."

mbstude wrote:

Reply to
John Poulos

Someone needs to tell her that cassette players weren't available in 1963.

Lee

***
Reply to
Lee Aanderud

Reply to
John Poulos

Overall, a very poor presentation. Nothing I hate worse than the personifiction of an inanimate object trying to describing itself. Going by the listing, I doubt Debbie Reynolds actually owned that car outright. It sounds like she may have had the use of it for a short period of time before having to forfeit it for the charity as mentioned. The listing is at least partially correct in stating it had "show car preparation".

Craig.

Craig

Reply to
studebaker8

John Poulos wrote: (quoted third party correspondence)

snip

....... The car did come with factory AM/FM

AM/FM Cassette??? Cassettes weren't invented yet...

JT

(Who is about to jump into his time machine and have a good crap)

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire