C-body door weatherstrip?

can someone please post a pic or describe how the weatherstrip around the doors in a C-body is to be installed, and what the profile of the correct weatherstrip looks like? I have one small water leak remaining, and it is around the pass. door w/strip. I suspect that a PO installed the weatherstrip incorrectly because it looks to me like if I get a new strip of the same stuff but glue it on rotated 90 degrees it would work a heck of a lot better.

I ask re: profile because JP has a big box of unID'd w/strip and I'd rather buy from him than another vendor, shipping is cheaper :) I've already picked out a length that looks like what's on there and I think it will work fine, just wanted a reality check.

thanks,

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Oh, one more question: my door drains are free and clear, but when hand washing the car apparently enough water is getting down in there to back up to the bottom trim clip holes in the doors... any hope here, or is this just something that has to be dealt with? At least on the pass. side the fuzzies are in and appear to be in good shape, they just don't help at all.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

The drain holes really are not large enough to accommodate a heavy rainfall and water will accumulate. What I did on the Power Hawk was to fiberglas the back of the door panel and use rtv on the lower clip holes.

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Since I've got to have new door panels made at some point anyway, any suggestions on a material to make new ones from rather than the stock material? I'm thinking maybe some kind of sheet plastic? I'm not really going for a full-on resto here, my goal is a car that drives well and can be used as a car.

nate

Reply to
N8N

Buy a copy of Old Skool Rodz or Street Rodder.There are plenty of advertisers offering kits to build your own.

Bob40

Reply to
Bob

Nate This question was asked on the Met forum recently and here was the best answer I heard.

From a responder on the Met forum I run a professional workroom. We don't use the cardboard for doorpanels. What we prefer is the fiberglass panels used for cheap shower inserts. It is about the right thickness and completely waterproof. The only downside is cutting it. You will need a sabersaw or something similar. You can buy the shower panels at any Home Depot, Lowes etc. It is a little more expensive than the cardboard. But, in 20 years of using it, we have never had a customer complain.\

We attach the doorpanels to the car by drilling holes through the fiberglass panel and popping the plastic "Christmas Tree" fasteners in. Spray the panel and the fabric with contact adhesive, wait 2 minutes, stick in place. Pop the door panel on and drive!

Bill

Reply to
Bill Clark

I like that idea! I'll have to check it out. Not that that is a job that I'm going to be getting to any time soon, of course, but while thinking of water control it came to mind.

nate

Bill Clark wrote:

Reply to
Nate Nagel