Control Arm bushing installation?

The shop manual says to use a special spreader tool to install the outer control arm bushings. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get the outer control arm bushings installed if I don't have the spreader tool?

The inner bushings are also pretty nasty to get in. The shop manual calls for another special tool to press in the bearings without bending the control arms. Any tips on how to rig a tool for these?

I guess my last option might be to take them in to a shop and pay someone to do it...

Thanks in advance, Tim

Reply to
Tim Ulrich

Doesn't Chuck Collins sell the tool for doing that?

Reply to
blacklarkviii

Reply to
oldcarfart

Chuck Collins

sells a tool that does it.

Back in 1987 on the 56 and again in 1991 on the 47, I measured 20/1000ths and not having the proper tools, took a 5 lb hammer and a block of wood and gave each side one good whack. I came pretty close to the 20/1000ths.

The trick is to have the threaded rod inside the bushings to be able to rotate, as the wheels go up and down. If you don't nail it correctly the busshings will turn, which is wrong.

Privacy via Encryption =----

Reply to
Bill Glass

Okay, I just did all this and I have to say it isn't easy but if I can do it, anyone can. The outer ends of the control arm need to be spread so that when you tighten the outer pin cap nuts they end up being loose on the pin and tight in the control arm. A 5/16's bolt of suitable length with a nut on the end will make a spreader. Put the bolt between the ends of the control arm and back the nut off enough to change the dimension the amount called for in the manual. You can get the tool from Chuck Collins, like I did, but I ended up using the bolt also. The inner bushings need to be pushed out with a hydraulic press. I used a piece of 3 in. piece of PVC cut open on one side to support the bottom of the control arm and you can use a stout piece of angle iron cut to the right length to support the the upper end when your pressing the bushings back in place. Plumbing pipe bushings or big sockets will serve to push the bushings in place. I'll be glad to help you more, just send me an email. Tim K.

On Jan 30, 10:43 pm, "Tim Ulrich" wrote:

Reply to
GTtim