Flat towing a Hawk

In an old issue of TW, the subject of flat towing (without using a dolly) is discussed and it was decided that attempting to tow a Studebaker that way was almost impossible.

But I towed a '64 Cruiser from Battle Mountain NV, (the armpit of the world, according to the sign) over Hoover dam (ever do THAT?) up and down mountains to San Antonio (yes, the driveshaft was disconnected) with no problem.

However, once I towed a Hawk about 150 miles and had a terrible time. Going straight on I-35 was OK but the front wheels didn't want to turn as they should have around corners. Both of these cars had power steering, so I think that was not the problem.

Has anyone had a similar problem? I want to tow the Hawk I just got about 17 miles and if I don't HAVE to rent a dolly, don't want to do it. Since it doesn't run, I think it will be very hard to get the car on the dolly. But I do have a tow bar and a trailer hitch on the back of my van.

As an aside, once I bought a Fiat X1/9. I didn't have a tow bar or dolly but the seller told me that he could tow it to my house, using a piece of water pipe about 6 feet long. I said something like, "That'll be the day!" He ran a chain thru the pipe, attached it to the middle of both cars' bumpers, tightened it very tight and took the X to my house with NO problem. Had never seen it done, before or since.

I guess my question is--if a piece of water pipe and a chain will work, what is the problem with flat towing a Stude?

John

Reply to
johnnywiffer

In a word, caster. Studes don't have caster, meaning the front wheels will go every which way. I wouldn't do it. At a minimum I would get a dolly, a trailer preferred.

nate

Reply to
N8N

I agree, but usually when I have a problem with hauling with a tow bar is when the motor is out of the car. One time I towed a 56 Roadmaster behind a Chevy 1/2 tn. It did fine for about 5 mi., then the road turned from asphalt to gravel. The Buick immediately turned left, crossed the ditch, & knocked down about 40 ft of barbed wire fence while pushing the truck sideways like it wasn't there. The last time I used a tow bar, back in '95, I was hauling a GT Hawk home. Prior to leaviing, I checked the tires & lug nuts, but did not check the axle nuts. After about 5 miles of uneventful towing, a front axle nut came off, causing the Hawk to pass the truck. Even though I once successfully hauled a

55 packard on a tow bar from NC to TX behind a Lark, I am a believer in trailers now! Anybody need anything hauled from TX to Omaha, IA, or SD? BH
Reply to
Barry

BTDT... But only if you have to. Take a good quality long rubber bungee cord. Take two wraps around the wheel and pull the hook ends outside the door. Slam the door on the two cords. Tie a knot in the bungee outside the door. Then just flat tow it with a good quality tow bar, keeping in mind that it is a sort of flexible front bumper held on with four 3/8" bolts. Why not have a steer person back there? Jeff

In an old issue of TW, the subject of flat towing (without using a

Reply to
Jeff Rice

ttp://

If you tie the steering wheel, what allows it to turn to follow the tow vehicle?

John

Reply to
johnnywiffer

No but I'm dickering with THIS guy...you coming the other way?

"

0017370460&indexURL&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting" John

Reply to
johnnywiffer

I'm coming back loaded heavy, big spender.

-- Barry'd in Studes

58 Packard Hawk 40 President 39 Coupe Exp. 59 DeLuxe 1/2 tn. 56 Packard "400"

"

0017370460&indexURL&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting">

Reply to
Barry

It'll stretch a bit and turn some, and it'll drag the rest of the way through the corner without flipping over to full lock, which is what Stude's like to do.. I never said it was ideal, or perfect. It just works in a pinch. Jeff

If you tie the steering wheel, what allows it to turn to follow the tow

Reply to
Jeff Rice

It can be towed by the steering wheel has to be tied off and all circles have to be w-i-d-e. Towed a Skyhawk from Gettysburg to RI that way without problems...

JT

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

I have flat towed two vehicles long distance when I was much younger.

I build a VERY heavy duty tow bar out of bits N pieces

I used my '62 chevy pickup with wornout front suspension to haul a '48 Champion ragtop to Chicago from Oklahoma City.

THAT was hairy. I wandered all over the road and Chicago rush hour was very... interesting.

THe problems mostly occured at slow speed in tight turns - the front wheels tended to lay-over ... A LOT.

10 years later I used my 76 Econoline to haul a Ford pickup OKC- Pennsylvania. Zero issues that time. Worked fine.

Your results will certainly vary

MD

Has anyone had a similar problem? I want to tow the Hawk I just got about 17 miles and if I don't HAVE to rent a dolly, don't want to do it. Since it doesn't run, I think it will be very hard to get the car on the dolly. But I do have a tow bar and a trailer hitch on the back of my van.

Reply to
markshere2

Someday we reach the point that we do the things that take a little more time or cost a few more dollars. Life is usually a bit more dull at that point, but it costs less in the long run. It's about the time that we stop saying, "Oh, Yeah? Just watch this."

Karl (You'll know you've reached it when you drive slower when drunk than faster, like you used to!)

Grumpy AuC> It can be towed by the steering wheel has to be tied off and all circles

Reply to
midlant

It worked EXACTLY as Jeff said!! Squealed around the corners a little but straightened out on the straight parts and MAN!! It came on down the road!! I'll never doubt you again, Jeff! ;-)

John

Reply to
johnnywiffer

Just buy a come along and some good rope to pull the car onto the dolly.

Reply to
Alex Magdaleno