Local 54 for sale

Went to look at a 54 hardtop for sale locally today. The owner isn't an SDC member, hasn't lived here long, and never has registered the car. After looking it over I realized WHY he never registered the thing...although the body seems to be rock solid, EVERYTHING else was either needing a lot of attention or had been VERY poorly rigged. Looking under the car while the engine was running I noticed the flex plate and torque converter were wobbling REAL bad...no idea what that was all about but that was the least of the worries. Some people should never have kids or pets, some people should never pick up wrenches.... What does a decent one of these cars go for? JP? Here is the ad...

Rare 54 Studebaker Starliner Commander 289 Avanti V8- R1,Idlebrock 4BL shift kit plated and bolted to GM trans, cherry bombs, high jackers, all new pumps and seals converted to 12 volt. Unfinished interior. Be aware of necessary investment to restore this vehicle. $13,000 not negotiable 656-2173

Studebaker George

Reply to
Studebaker George

"$13,000 not negotiable", not interested either.

Studebaker George wrote:

Reply to
John Poulos

Reply to
Studebaker George

sounds like 10K or more overpriced, and "Idlebrock"? does that mean no throttle linkage?

Reply to
oldcarfart

Naw... Just a "slacker" carb...

JT

oldcarfart wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

If he used the Steeltech conversion for the Chevy trans I can guess what happened to his converter and flex plate. The fit of the snout on the converter and the flex plate was very tight on mine and it bound up. I saw what was happening and backed off. I emeried the inside of the hole and took the paint off the snout of the converter. I then made sure the converter could turn freely as I tightened the trans to the engine. His probably got cocked and then when he bolted the converter to the plate it warped it. As you say, some people should never pick up wrenches (:-)

Reply to
Alex Magdaleno