Lot of car for no reserve

This one doesn't impress me at all. While I know next to nothing about street rods, it seems to be an amateurish effort at best appearance wise.

JT

Paul Johns>

Grumpy AuContraire

Seems like it would be more at home on a dragstrip. I'd yank the bowtie motor and put in something hot, but with a lower profile - add a complete front clip and then roll with it.

Reply to
zoombot

He calls it a Commander, but the serial number is for a South Bend built 1953 Champion. Maybe he calls it a Commander because it is now a V8.

More of a street car, but still modified, is my '54 Starliner. It is eBay Motors item number 190017994858.

Reply to
studegary

JT-

You've been breathing Honda fumes for too long! That's not a "street rod", it's a purpose-built race-car that just so happens to still be street legal...and that's what he tells everyone.

I see nothing "amateurish" about it...looks like a budget minded but well-built race car to me. Slightly overpowered for it's suspension and tire setup but a VERY nice 1st attempt!

If I win the Lotto tonight, that car is MINE...and I don't care if it started out as a Commander or not!!

Hey, Dave....I'll bet it leaves TWO stripes in the parking lot!

Bob (still clean>

Bigbob62

How many stripes are you leaving on the host motel lot in Omaha this year? I'll match ya! (But, you may have to go twice for each time I go once. -¿Ö

I haven't done anything fun in so long, I think I'm gonna be sick! More than a full time job, coupled with the heat and dry spell... I'm useless! If I don't do something car related and fun very soon, I'm gonna 'splode!

It's a good thing that I am just interim, temporary, occasional, part-time help!

Reply to
Dave's Place

I kinda like it, but I doubt it corners very well :)

nate

Bigbob62 wrote:

Reply to
Nate Nagel

If you win the lotto... And that's a big "IF" when considering the take out is over 40% (Vs. around 10% in Vegas), treat yourself to one built from the ground up. And enjoy supporting Exxon, BP, Shell, yada yada yada... Oh, don't forget to heed that stupid commercial boasting on how all the lotto players have "helped" TX education...

JT

(Who zips by most gas stations these days!)

Bigbob62 wrote:

Grumpy AuContraire

Interesting car. IMOHO it has had too many compromises made in the build process. Sure, it's a race car for the street, or was that a street car to look like a race car? I almost want to say it's an ex race car chassis that had a Stude body hung on it. But........ Why in the world would you do a strut looking front frame section (to look like a race chassis) and then go and stick a stock (stamped steel) Mustang II front end under it? If you are racing, that setup is heavy..... And his placement of the upper a-arms is going to make street driving (alignment) a joke. I definitely would not have built it that way. Jeff (but I tossed a bid in on it ) Rice

Reply to
Jeff Rice

Actually, my point (which I didn't express) was that I was surprised to see a car in which the seller obviously had a major investment being offered at no reserve and a low starting bid. I also thought it was a very good write-up. Paul Johnson

Reply to
Paul Johnson

itraseecab

With Bonneville just ending and Studebakers competing there having a mixed bag of success and failure.... I find comments like this interesting and frustrating. With only a couple of exceptions, all the records broken at Bonneville this year were from brand X powered Stude's. Almost all the Stude powered racers broke this year and all the brand X stuff broke records. So what if this Ebay offering doesn't float your boat. At least the guy put the effort into finishing this Stude to the point he could offer it up for sale. How many freaking Stude projects (that are held by purist's) that are NEVER going to see the light of day???? How embarrassing for the SDC ,and the Stude hobby in general, that we are going to toss rocks at a Stude that may well purchased by a real Stude aficionado. How dorky would this comment be if Ted Harbit were to buy it and stuff a spare 289 he has laying around in his shed. This 'HOBBY' we have should be inclusive, and not exclusive. Shame on all those that pull this purist crap. Just love all Stude's for what they are... Stude's... Jeff (One tired, but happy puppy...) Rice

"Steven Prange" wrote..

Reply to
Jeff Rice