Move over Kroil/PB Blaster, I have Ballistol

This would be off topic except that I am using it on Studebakers (and a Packard). No, I don't sell it or own stock in the company. Ballistol could almost be called a miracle product because it can be used on so many things. I learned of it from the manager of an Ace Hardware store in Avon, NC (Cape Hatteras). He went to a lot of trouble to stock it outside his Ace Hardware system because it was so popular among salt-water boaters, both commercial fishermen and knowledgeable recreational boaters. I have used it on my RV which we leave there year around (very corrosive atmosphere). A few weeks ago I brought a can home to try on various Studebaker problems. First thing I used it on was a non-functional courtesy light switch on the passenger door jamb of my '64 Daytona convertible. In a few minutes it was working. Then I went to the '57 Packard wagon I foolishly bought a while back. None of the door latches would work which I found out when the seller tied the doors shut to deliver it. I squirted them liberally and in a few minutes all four were functional. I had wondered why the license plate light/bracket hit the bumper when you opened the tail gate. I thought maybe it should swivel. Squirted it liberally and in a few minutes it did swivel. Yesterday I used it on the carb in my Wagonaire because the linkage had gotten rusty and was sticking.Today I used it on the rear spring bushing bolts on the convert. They were frozen tight. In maybe 15 minutes I was able to take off the nut and turn the bolt. The bolt, however, was frozen to the inner part of the bushing so I am leaving it overnight to free up (report to follow). Tonight I couldn't get one aluminum jalousie window to close in our solarium. Squirt to each pivot and it went right shut. Check this website to see the 1001 uses of Ballistol.

^index01.aspFor "green" people, the Material Data Safety Sheet comes up on Googling "Ballistol Lube" and it checks out to be very environmentally friendly too.Paul Johnson

Reply to
Paul Johnson

John Poulos

I can't honestly say it is a better penetrating oil than Kroil. It really is listed as a lube. I was more interested in its uses on electrical items and its anti-corrosion properties. However, Ballistol did work well when I used it as a penetrating oil. You caught me in what was probably a poor subject line. I certainly didn't mean to imply that Kroil wasn't a good product. I can't wait to dip my disposable razor in Ballistol so see if it will make mine last a year and a half like the guy in the testimonial on the "New Uses Discovered" link. Paul Johnson

Reply to
Paul Johnson

I find the Silky Kroil that has some lube oil in it is better then the regular Kroil for some uses. i.e. latches and such.

Paul Johns>> Did Kroil fail to do the same stuff on the car ? Not being a smart ass,

Reply to
John Poulos

Reply to
Brian Scott

Or... "Do you smell gas?"

My grandfather swore that WD-40 helped sore joints and muscles... but I never saw him spray it on himself. Probably because my grandmother wouldn't let him in the house if he did.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Aanderud

I found a product that calls itself Penetrating Grease. It sprays on very thin and in a few minutes increases in viscosity. It finally gets very tacky so that it does not sling off like regular oil might but never quite achives the body of grease. It penetrates pretty good but not like Kroil or any true penetrating oil but in most cases works pretty good

Reply to
dougwhitesr