My 321 cid(?) 259 Wagonaire is home

For those of you who don't read the Racing Studebakers forum- Back in March or April I took my original '64 Daytona Wagonaire to a friend in SE Virginia so he could rebuild the engine. I was kind of reluctant because he is suffering from Parkinson's. However, he convinced me that it is therapy for him. He is afraid that his mechanical skills will atrophy if he doesn't keep busy. Before- it was a smooth running, non-smoking 259 with 130,000 miles and one previous valve grind. It did suffer from low oil pressure. My idea of a rebuild was to hone the cylinders, install service pistons (.001 oversize) and new rings and I was prepared to accept that it might need a minor re-bore. I had given him a 289 crank and 289 pistons to convert it to a 289. After- I found that it had been bored maybe .101 (never very clear), the heads were shaved .045, the pistons were Chevrolet .030 oversize 350 Corvette flat top pistons and head gaskets were thin steel. There are numerous horror stories, but it did sound good as I drove it on the trailer. I can't drive it yet due to a couple issues- (1) a power steering hose blew when he tried to drive it and (2) a fuel delivery issue which I'm pretty sure is an air leak somewhere in the line. It doesn't leak, but pulls air at the pump (tried two stock pumps (original and brand new) and have an electric pump hooked up pushing through the stock new pump. We have had a bunch of rain and it's still raining off and on so I haven't even taken it off the trailer to check it. I asked him what he thought the cid was now and he gave me the approximate 321 answer. I don't have the 350 bore number so I can't compute it myself as yet. Paul Johnson

Reply to
Paul Johnson

John Poulos

Yikes... A 350 Chevy engine is eithr a 3.9", or a 4" bore (most are 4") That means an overbore of .4375" That would make it 364.4256 cid (I don't think that there is enough cast iron in the cylinders to get anywhere close to this).

Maybe a 235 Chevy six cylinder piston...

(from

)289 Cubic inch engine - 3.5625 Bore X 3.625 Stroke (3 9/16 X 3 5/8)CID = Bore X bore X Stroke X # of cylinders X .7854

Reply to
Jeff Rice

It's easy to measure the stroke and, with a little bit of effort, you could make a device to roughly measure the bore through the sparkplug hole. (Probably for sale, somewhere.) I've designed two systems so far since reading this post. Karl

Reply to
midlant

Aren't 235 pistons pretty wide? I have one (engine) in the shed but it's upside down on a pallet so I'm not about to go look anytime soon...

JT

Jeff Rice wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Yikes for sure! I guess I'll just have to pull the heads and mic a cylinder to know for sure. I've heard three different versions when I asked him what the bore (or over bore) was. First story was it was bored .101. Then he told be that it was .004 less than 3 3/4 inches, then the 350 piston story. ??? I guess I'll run a check on the compression to try to get a general idea what the ratio is. Then, I'll may have to pull the heads anyhow to get the compression down some (use thick head gaskets). Oh well, I want to do an Edelbrock any way. Paul Johnson

Reply to
Paul Johnson
3.75 makes sense and delivers a 320. Been done before, and the blocks can usually handle it. Watch for imperfections in the casting. One member here in Az. had to sleeve one cylinder after finding a sand casting imperfection. He had custom pistons made. And the bigger the bore, up goes the compression ratio. Maybe there are off the shelf 3.75 pistons with a usable pin height, I've just never heard of 'em. I would be real interested in knowing what he used. If you have the opportunity, please let me know what he used.

Kelly

Reply to
kelmbaker