New Member...is it OK to post Stude items for sale

I have a Stude engine & tranny for sale. Is it OK to post it here or is there a more appropriate place for it? Thanks

Reply to
rudytroha

mbstude

It's a 259 V8 and auto tranny out of a 64 Lark. It's currently installed in my '54 Champ and runs great. The tranny slips a little and probably will need to be rebuilt.. The engine has about 100K on it and has a 4-bbl Stude manifold, chrome valve covers and Erson air cleaner. I have a rebuilt 350 chevy that was given to me that I am going to install in its place along with an "as-yet-to-be-obtained"

700R4 tranny. I live in Folsom, California (not in the prison). Asking $450 obo. Also included is an extra Dana 44 rear end (non-posi) that I bought when I wrongly thought my current rear end went bad. (yes, it was the U-joint afterall)
Reply to
rudytroha

Before you commit to putting that Chevy engine in you 54 take a good hard look at what your getting in too. That engine and car were not made to go together and it's not nearly as easy as some people would have you believe, and would cost a lot more money and be a whole lot more work than fixing your transmission.

Also that Stude engine is a whole lot tougher than just about any Chevy motor, it's got a forged crank, forged connecting rods, timing gears instead of chains, and solid lifters.

Yep, I'm biased, but the facts are the facts

Jeff DeWitt

snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt

Reply to
mbstude

Put a SBC in it with a 700R4 if you want to but a 200-4R will fit a lot easier. It's your car, do what you want to with it.

Reply to
Jerry Forrester

Rudy,

Do you know Duke Butler who has my old 54 in Folsom?

Reply to
Alex Magdaleno

Ditto here...

JT

(Who's witnessed the heartbreak of Chevybakers...)

Jeff DeWitt wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

yeah, like my dads 1979 Olds Cutlass, 50,000 miles, and needing a new cam when we "unloaded it" on trade for another car

start it up in the morning, first 5 minutes were pop, pop, pop, pop

after it warmed up, it sounded and ran good

Reply to
betrtimes

Studebaker was ahead of the times with soft cams too! their's was in

1951!

betrtimes wrote:

Reply to
oldcarfart

I agree that it is your car and you should do what pleases you. There is nothing wrong with putting a Chevy small block in a Studebaker, even Studeabker thought it was a good idea! :-) But it is true that the 350 will not generate much excitement from observers. They are common for a number of reasons, reliable, responsive to performance mods, lots of parts and plenty of people who know how to work on them if you don't. I had a 350 in my '53 and recently swapped it out for a late model LS1, just to be diffferent ;-). It starts intantly, hauls the mail, gets 26 mpg and turns heads every time I pop the hood.

I live in Marysville, are you in the Karel Staple SDC chapter? I have trouble remembering everyone's names. Perhaps we will meet or already have. Good luck with your project. I'd like to see it.

Reply to
Pat Dilling