ok to post ad?

I'm not very familiar with the policies of newsgroups, so I want to be courteous and ask if it is ok if I put up a posting about a toyota truck i am trying to sell?

Reply to
Jpearl

Not encouraged but not flat-out prohibited - it's an "alt" group so it's only an organized anarchy, but if you want to stay on the good side of most of the people here:

  1. Put FS or FOR SALE in the headers so it can be filtered. Filtered to find, or filtered to ignore is up to the reader.
  2. Make the header short and sweet, with all the information people want at a glance - "FS 89 4x4 X-cab Pickup 120K Miles, in Portland OR" (Unless it's a collector car only local buyers are interested, listing your city allows them to skip the ones that are too far away.)
  3. Keep the body of the message short, "Just the facts, Sir." Give the color, condition, options, and the price range you're thinking about. Are the tags and smog current? Does it run? How are the tires and brakes?
  4. DO NOT POST PICTURES in non-Binaries newsgroups. Most ISP's give you a free 10MB homepage, put the pictures and extensive descriptions up there and just provide a hyperlink adddress in your post - it will look like (just guessing)
  5. Subscribe to the group, and respond to posted inquires - don't just put down "E-mail me" and leave. And feel free to get involved in the discussions here, we don't bite. (Well, most of us. I think our resident troll Mike Hunt is overdue for his Rabies Shots... ;-)
  6. If nothing major changes, place the ad updates under the same header ("Reply" to your original message) - so people don't have to keep reading it if they marked it to "Ignore thread"
7 Don't repeat the post more than once every week or two - messages are archived for a few months at most ISP's where people will find them, and at Google Groups forever.
  1. When it's sold, post an "It's Sold" reply in the same thread as a closer, so buyers aren't calling you for the next 9 months.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Agree ok - just list location, condition, mileage, price and valid email so they can contact you off the newsgroup.

Reply to
Wolfgang