NY Car Titles

Has anyone had experience with buying a Studebaker from New York? Do they still use titles for older cars or is the last Registration Receipt all that is used? The back has a place for ownedship transfer. Allen

Reply to
satdoc2 via CarKB.com

Depends on the year last sold. If it has owners ship transfered with the registration, no title was issued.

satdoc2 via CarKB.com wrote:

Reply to
John Poulos

Thanks John. Allen

John Poulos wrote:

Reply to
satdoc2 via CarKB.com

John - This is one time that I will have to say that you are incorrect on your answer. I reside in NY, have bought and sold many cars in NY and worked full time at auto sales in NY. "The year last sold" has absolutely nothing to do with the title situation. All pre-1973 cars in NY have a transferable registration and no title. All 1973 and newer cars have a title and a non-transferable registration. This means that any Studebaker, and other cars pre-1973, are legally transferred on their registration. All 1973 and newer cars should only be transfered on a title. The number plates do not go with the car in either case.

Reply to
studegary

Gary you got it right. I live in the cold reaches of the north here in ny. and pre 73 is only on the reggie. Rich

Reply to
am not r2

Got me, I just assumed when I got a old Studebaker that was last registered in the 60's that there were no titles issued until a later date.

studegary wrote:

Reply to
John Poulos