OT-Bed Bounce-OT

It wouldn't work out quite like that, they wouldn't work 52 weeks because of vacations and they WOULD get overtime, which of course would bump it up quite a bit.

Jeff DeWitt

Lee Aanderud wrote:

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt

So they wouldn't get paid while on vacation? Vacation time would only be

80-160 hours per year. That still works out to over $100K per year. I don't recall plants shutting down for extended periods of time to bring these salaries down.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Aanderud

Well except for the mid east, its a big old goofy capitalist world that except for us understands that an improved standard of living only comes from manufacturing people standing on a rubber mat adding value to things. Almost nothing else will improve a peoples standard of living other than manufacturing value add and farming. What these car industry nitwits, and after buying a great new Chevy that I like, I include everyone, manufacturing people, dealers, the executives, the sales support, all of them, are in the same boat as primitive people that never put an association between screwing and babies as they have no sence of the reaction that their actions cause. While they are on strike, in other parts of the capitalist world there are people assembling cars for less money and the few remaining knuckleheads that are supporting the Detroit unions are all driving Toyotas. So one of our major manufactuing industries goes on strike and the end result will be a decline in our ability to support ourselves in the manner to which we have become accustomed.

I played a concert in a rest home tonight where we had to bring our own lights to see the music.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Clark

OK, I did a little digging, according to the UAW website their "typical" assembler at GM made $27.81 while a skilled trades worker made $32.32, that's straight time not including overtime and benefits.

That's not $80 and hour but it ain't bad for factory work... and if they aren't careful they are going to find themselves working as greeters at Wal-Mart.

Jeff DeWitt

Jeff DeWitt wrote:

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt

Overtime is dropping as well... the average work week in '94 was 47.3 hours, in '05 it was 42.4 hours. For benefits you can add 30%.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Aanderud

You can bet the farm that a unionized auto worker makes more than you despite your credentials.

JT

Nate Nagel wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Uh, those "$25" per hour figures must be from the 1970's. GM's main supplier, (I forget the name), make the same or close to the same as line workers.

JT

Lee Aanderud wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

No, but they have been shut down to lower inventories and another provision for laid off workers is full pay then as well...

JT

Lee Aanderud wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

I heard that the real sticking point was they wanted a guarantee that GM would not outsource any more jobs. Both sides say that is a non negotionable position. Another thing hurting all American companies is the cost of medical insurance for their workers and retirees. The countries they compete against all have universal coverage and they don't have those high costs. The foreign makers plants in American also have an advantage in that they do not have a lot or retirees to pay.

Reply to
ALEX M.