sort of OT - some tips for DIYers

This has nothing particular to do with fixing Toyotas, but I think that if you haven't already thought of the following idea, it may help you out. When you're disassembling something, whether it be an automotive assembly or piece of electronic hardware, or anything with a number of parts, which you're going to have to reassemble when you fix it, get out your digital camera and keep it at your elbow as you disassemble the item. Keep taking as many photos as you need as you take the item apart, and if it's a small assembly, use the closeup arrangement on the camera. When you reverse the process, simply look at your last photo and go backwards. and when you're done, simply delete all the pictures and it will have cost you nothing but a couple of minutes' time. Same goes for connections of electronic equipment. If (for example) you're moving and have to take apart the connections for your tv, vcr, dvd player and cassette deck (and turntable if you still have one) the connections will probably be color coded terminals, but even if they're not, just record with your camera all the rear ends of the appliances with the wires, and again, take as many photos as you need to thoroughly understand how the wires connect. Then, after getting to your new house or apartment....maybe weeks later if it's a long distance move, and after you've long since forgotten where everything connects, you can review the photos and see in a moment where they should go. A whole lot easier and more accurate than trying to draw all the connections on a sheet of paper while you're getting packed to leave. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Another tip which I just found out about. Let's say you have a remote control for a piece of electronic hardware, whether it's a receiver, cd or dvd player, tv, cable or satellite box or even an air conditioner control. You can't seem to make the unit operate using the remote, so you attempt to troubleshoot the remote. How can you tell whether it's emitting infrared signals to your unit? You can't, because your eyes don't recognize infrared light. BUT! Your digital camera recognizes infrared light, so just turn on the camera, point the remote at the lens, and push an appropriate button (actually any one button) on the remote, and if it's working, you'll see it light up in the viewfinder or LCD display of the camera. You don't even need to take a picture, just look at the LCD display, and if there's a little round light on the front of the remote, (rather like a penlite's light) you'll know that it's operating. Cute trick, eh?

Reply to
mack

Now you tell me....after I've taken apart my Corolla .... j/k

Hey I just happened to have my 2nd generation ago digital camera Canon A95 next to my mighty TV/ng viewing chair and gave it a try.

You are right.

Thanks...

Reply to
Scott in Florida
.

Oh well, you'll have your Canon available Next Time (and there's always a next time.) I wish I'd had a digital camera many years ago when I'd take something apart and get it halfway reassembled before seeing a part that I knew went in...somewhere...in the earliest stages of assembly...and back to square one.

just look at the LCD display, and if there's a

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ You're most welcome! And next time the remote doesn't act on the tv, you can check it without even taking the batteries out to test 'em. cheers, Mack

Reply to
mack

As an extension of the adage that real men don't need directions... Real men don't need pictures to remember how to put something back together - It is much more effective to blame someone for touching the work while you weren't lookng!

Very clever!

Reply to
Ray O

LOL.....

You speak from experience....

Reply to
Scott in Florida

You got that right!!!

Reply to
Ray O

Used that little trick when I was disassembling the fuel petcock on my Yamaha. Good advice.

Reply to
Joe Schmuckatelli