OT.....BUT

Over the last few days AOL's security program has stopped a few attempts to block hackers from my computer.

In the last few minutes I got attacked again, this time by GOOGLE....... Sunnyvale, California to Yonkers, back to Sunnyvale. What Google attempted to do was insatll "Searchit". They then take over your browser and record where you go and then place pop ups and mis-direction in searches.

I don't car what you say abot AOL, but this saved me a ton of grief. The program gave me a list of IP address of the hacking, the WHOIS report and also blocked search it from getting on my computer

BG

Reply to
Bill Glass

Do a search on "searchit in Google". I'm not sure where you got your information but its not quite correct. You have to allow this program to be installed - it won't just unknowingly attack you or install without your permission. Please do a search as I suggested and get the correct information as to what the program actually does.

Reply to
Terry M

Might be somebody else posing as google.

I've used the hell out of google's services over the years. Hard to believe they're using spyware.

They can gather a whole boatload of data from their willing users and sell it. No need to use spyware

For the most part I have found google to be an honest broker of their services.

Here's one google lit of products

Looking on Altavista I found this:

SearchIt violated two criteria and damaged the test machine. First, it hijacked my IE error page. Entries made in the IE address bar were redirected to the SearchIt homepage,
Second, deceptive popup and popunder ads opened as a result of using the SearchIt toolbar, some of them seemingly unrelated to the use of the product. An example of a particularly deceptive popunder ad (the ad was displayed underneath the currently open window) took nearly the identical format of Windows warnings: 'Warning: Spyware Detected - Microsoft Internet Explorer' was listed in the title bar and a bright red 'Warning' preceded text warning of the grave threat of spyware. Ads were served from sites like banner3.inet-traffic.com and
In addition to the aforementioned criteria violations, SearchIt created problems as a result of uninstalling. The first time it was uninstalled it broke my internet connection. The uninstaller deleted objects that resulted in the loss of internet connection. On another uninstall, SearchIt erased references to Google in the toolbar listings in Internet Explorer.

Reply to
markshere2

Check this out..............then tell me it isn't GOOGLE

BG

Reply to
Bill Glass

Never said it wasn't google. All I meant was that it would take some action on your part to actually install it. AOL probably caught it at the request point. Am not trying to come across as being offensive and apologize if it sounded like it. I don't allow any of the so called toolbars or any such stuff like this to install on my computer nor any of the computers I work on. Too many problems are associated with them as you mentioned.

Reply to
Terry M

The IT dept in the college I work for has blocked Google desktop from being installed on any college computer. Why - Too much personal data sent back to Google.

Reply to
Bimbo

hey Bill, you did right,., its a piece of shit..

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

its a piece of shit..