OT: Catalog Vendors

I've had good luck with Classic Tube, FWIW. Who were you trying to order from?

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Just got a call about a custom bent stainless brake line I ordered for my '65 Chevy truck rear axle. Part came to $29.00... shipping was going to be $56.00. I asked "why would shipping be $56.00"... I was told, "because it's oversized". These two brake lines are about 3 feet long and maybe 8" wide and 1" tall if you consider the size box it'd take to fit them because of the bends. It took me about .5 seconds to tell them to cancel my order. The first order I placed with them took two weeks to get here.

Went online and found a site called finelines.com that had the part for $40.00 + $8.50 shipping. Placed an order online and my lines should be here mid next week.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Aanderud

Reply to
Lee Aanderud

Just got a call about a custom bent stainless brake line I ordered for my '65 Chevy truck rear axle. Part came to $29.00... shipping was going to be $56.00. I asked "why would shipping be $56.00"... I was told, "because it's oversized". These two brake lines are about 3 feet long and maybe 8" wide and 1" tall if you consider the size box it'd take to fit them because of the bends. It took me about .5 seconds to tell them to cancel my order. The first order I placed with them took two weeks to get here.

Went online and found a site called finelines.com that had the part for $40.00 + $8.50 shipping. Placed an order online and my lines should be here mid next week.

Lee

Reply to
Bill Glass

my cellphone broke, its under warranty, called Cingular at 1 PM thursday, they shipped me a new one by DHL, I paid $7.50 for 2 day delivery.

it was here at 3 PM yesterday... 26 hrs.

I had a broken printer to send back to DELL, they sent me a DHL return prepaid sticker. Call the tollfree number, and someone was here to pick it up about 4 hrs later

FED EX, on the other hand, took 3 days to get a package from Texarkana, 1 hr away, even after phone instructions down to color of house, and kinds of cars in the driveway....

and I am expecting a package from FED EX tuesday next week......... maybe

Reply to
betrtimes

I think the site you are writing about is finelinesinc.com. Finelines.com is for window treatments, pillows and bedding.

Went online and found a site called finelines.com that had the part for $40.00 + $8.50 shipping. Placed an order online and my lines should be here mid next week.

Lee

Reply to
Wizard of Oz

A couple of times I've ordered parts that came by FedEx, and both times they called and said they couldn't find my address.

What a LAME excuse, my street is on all the mapping websites, but apparently they were using some software of their own, and instead of using a bit of common sense (and the web), called customers for directions and to impress upon us their incompetence.

Jeff DeWitt

betrtimes@green acres.farm wrote:

Reply to
Jeffrey DeWitt

whats even funnier is we live on a street that is also designated US

70-Business.

now if I told you the corner of 7th and name of town avenue,and it was 3 blocks west of the courthouse, how hard would it be for you to find it??

only brick house with white trim on that corner...... sheesh

Reply to
betrtimes

Well, UPS did one better, shipped a brake kit to California, 3 boxes, 2 got delivered, the other returned to me, with NO SUCH ADDRESS written all over it. I called UPS and asked them where the other 2 boxes were. They said they were delivered, had the check the tracking number/receipt on the 3 rd box. They told me it was returned because no such address! I told the dumb ass to look at all 3 packages and tell me how the 2 got delivered to the "no such address" and the 3rd didn't. They picked up the 3rd package and next day aired it to him, at their cost! Best part, it was the 2 rotors!

Jim

Reply to
Jim Turner

Two similar experiences with FedEx. I had them pickup a purchase at Bo's place of business. Bo had it all wrapped and ready and stuck around the place all day. They couldn't find it. I went to Google Earth with his address and zoomed right in it. It was smack dab on a main street. When I delivered my $1500 R-3 tach to the buyer, they couldn't find him either and he had waited at home two days to get it. When he tried to recover it from the depot itself he was told that the driver had it with him at home. So, he had to wait until Monday when things finally got straightened out. Paul Johnson

Reply to
Paul Johnson

re you guys aware there is more than oe Fed X delivery.The classic orange and blue Fed X logo denotes the original Fed X delivery. They spun off thier home deliver group,so to speak.The home delivery is handled by "outside contractors",guys who lease thier own trucks and are contracted by Fed X.This keeps Fed X costs down because the X dosent own or maintain the vehicles,didnt buy them,and IIRC there are no employee benefits to be payed. I have friends who work fr both divisions of the X, and the one who is on contract and tells me horror storys about the inept fools he works with.One day I found a package that way thrown up by a sign by the enterance to a sub division.It was winter time,about 30 degrees and conditions were slushy and wet,Yet here was this box high and dry 15 feet from the road in the snow. The lable was a FED X home delivery,so I call my buddy and ask him about it after I called the person it was supposed to be delivered to and they came and picked it up. My friend told me it probably "fell off the truck",which was a polite way of sayng the driver couldnt find the address and chucked up into the yard rather than take it back to the shipping hub or continue to try and find the address.

Reply to
Champ TruckingCompny

I ship everything with the postoffice. I have had no problems and printing the shipping labels on my computer , makes it easy. Never lost a package yet. We shipped an expense piece of euipment to England with FEDEX They drove a forklift fork right through it and told us that the damage occured because the equipment was not properly packed. They refused to pay. When I order stuff now I always specify,not to send it FEDEX. If they do , I will not accept packages shipped by FEDEX and the driver knows it.They return it to the sender. DHL has been good sofar. R.Kapteyn

Reply to
rkapteyn

I use Fed-Ex 'GROUND' and DHL a lot. Fed-Ex 'GROUND' has never been a problem. DHL has never been a problem. UPS sucks and has been a problem. (How you can wreck a 30# piece of cast iron in a double box is beyond me) USPS has done well for me, but they are expensive and s l o w... Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Hell, that's easy.

1) Take a broken 30# piece of cast iron worth about $5-0 (if it wasn't broken). 2) Pack in double box, insure for 5 times value and ship UPS, knowing something that heavy is gonna result in a trashed box. 3) Collect insurance.

Jeff wrote:

Reply to
Pat Drnec