OT - HMS - or will this wok

Okay, We had this huge Sony Trintron XBR from the 70;s, Back then $1800 was an obscene amount of money for a TV, it was given to me after the comany I worked for had rented it on a daily basis for a year and fianlly realized that they could not use it as a capital expenditure purchase, and the rental company did not want it back. It has two detachable RPM speakers which produced the most outstanding sound. The speakers are listed at 4 ohms, but the stereo in the Hawk, has speakers that are 8 ohms,can I use these speakers in the car?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Glass

An amp can "push uphill" (eg, 4 ohm amp into 8 ohm speakers) without damage, but going "downhill" heats up the chassis right now, boom. Ohm's law of series and parallel applies to speaker arrays, so you should be able to team your 4 ohm speakers with, say, 16 ohm tweeters, for instance, or (with appropriate advice) a faked-load resistor, and make a chain of 8 ohm or higher load.

Reply to
comatus

Bill, 4 ohm speakers are low efficiency and need lots of watts to drive. Best to stick with 8 ohm...

JT

(Who still has 16 ohm E/V stereo stuff...)

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Reply to
John Poulos

Ahhhh... All of my 16 ohm speakers are considered high efficiency. IOW, 25 watts of power will produce deafening sound while the usual watts being applied in the 4-5 watt range.

By efficiency, I mean the very basic interpretation, watts required to produce the same DB level.

The first low efficiency speaker I remember were produced by Accoustic Research. Lower impedance permitted lower magnet weights with power controlling the speaker accuracy rather than the magnet size. Today, that has been magnified many fold.

Also, the old speakers in their simplicity allowed for extreme long cone life as opposed to today's powered units that are shot in a few years.

YMMV

JT

John Poulos wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Easiest way to interface this is to get a pair of 2:1 step down, audio freq, transformers. I look for old stero eqpt at the flea mkts, and use what i need.

The transformers are a excellant impedance matching devices. Jim

Reply to
jimandkathiekrise

Don't waste your time Bill, the 1-2 watt output of the factory radio will not drive the speakers even without the transformer loss.

jimandkathiekrise wrote:

Reply to
John Poulos