OT, looking for leaf spring stock

Anybody on the NG know where I might find some 1 1/2" wide leaf spring stock, preferably

1/4" thick or less?

I want to add a helper leaf to each front spring on my '49 Crosley to get rid of the sag in front end. (take it away, Calvin)

Most of the spring suppliers I've called stock 1 3/4" as their minimum width.

Gord Richmond

Reply to
Gordon Richmond

Let me try the local guy here over the next day or so and I'll get back to you.

Wiz.

Reply to
Wizard of Oz

Hey Gord, that width size seems right for the rear of an 80s 3/4 ton ford pickup,2 or 4 wheel drive,IIRC. Walk thru the mall parking lot with a tape measure.....

Reply to
Mertz Racing

Fred,

Check again. I said 1 1/2" wide. That's a very narrow spring. I'd expect a 3/4 ton truck to have springs in the 3 1/2" width range.

These are for a Crosley. It's a dinky little car. The spring look like what you'd find on a tent trailer.

Gord Richmond

Reply to
Gordon Richmond

Did you try these guys...

WayneC

preferably

of the sag

Wayne, I went on their website, and all they show there is made-up springs for the most popular car makes.

Maybe if a guy sent them some e-mail. Be nice if the website said "we can make leaf springs from xx inches to XXX inches, yy pounds to YYY pounds." But that'd be too easy.

Gord Richmond

Reply to
Gordon Richmond

Have you tried your local commercial spring shop?

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

stock, preferably

rid of the sag

If you check the link I sent you, it plainly says they don't have room on the website to list all the springs and parts they can supply, and to contact them for your needs. they make and to contact them for information

Reply to
WayneC

Gordon What about a spring out of a tag along utility trailer? Maybe you can find an old one that's junk, but has the spring you need or you could check with someone who sells or services them.

Reply to
Ron Butts

Reply to
Malcom Gillette

OH DUH! (Hanging head in shame) My Bad!!!!!

Reply to
Mertz Racing

stock, preferably

rid of the sag

Wayne, I did not follow your link, as I'd already been there. I did a Dogpile search for springs. I made a phone inquiry to Standen's in Calgary; they are a BIG name in the spring business. No 1 1/2" spring stock.

I've sent an e-mail inquiry to Dendoff Spring in Surrey, B.C. Haven't heard back yet. If If I can't find springs relatively close to me, I'll broaden my search. I'm pretty sure I can get complete springs from Service Motors, but they don't do Internet.

Gord Richmond

Reply to
Gordon Richmond

Thanks, Wiz. Basically the same response I've gotten from my local spring builders. Still haven't heard from Dendoff in B.C. I'll check with them on Monday again. Time to start checking the wrecking yards with some real old iron, I guess. Or get a piece of thin 3" spring stock and slice it lengthwise with a cutoff wheel.

Gord Richmond

Reply to
Gordon Richmond

Reply to
Oujdeivß

Reply to
Oujdeivß

Couldn't you use a set of those little "spring helpers" that are sold by JC Whitney to bolt on existing leafs to stiffen up leaf springs?

Seems like I have a set out in the shop somewhere...you know me, I can't resist a good deal on Ebay! I don't even remember what I bought them for...but it seems like I remember selling an extra set to JT a long while back?

Bob (shelves and shelves of stuff with no idea why I actually "needed" most of itl!)

Gord> >I was told today that size spring was not made any more. Sorry if that is > >true. > >

Reply to
Bigbob62

Yeah, those were coil overs for the rear shocks for a Lark. Would be no help to Gord in this case.

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

I just called Big Moe Spring and Alighnment, one of the larger spring shops here in Atlanta, and they don't stock any 1 1/2" leaf spring stock.

Reply to
Jerry Forrester

Reply to
R W Hughes

For some reason, something is telling me that you should look for an Amish buggy maker....

Reply to
Jeff Rice