<OT> Your first new car?

My first car was my parent's 1977 bright red Chevy Impala coupe. Dad bought a new '80 Monte Carlo and gave me the Impala as a college graduation gift.

I know that they have a reputation for bad cams, rusty rear frames, weak THM 200's, etc., but I always really liked that '77 coupe. We had a '74 Impala Sport Coupe before and I much preferred the '77 to drive and ride in...quieter and "tauter" and crisp styling. BTW, I also liked the '78 Malibu Classics when they came out, the smaller ones, if you got the Monte Carlo gauge cluster, 50/50 split seat with dual center armrests and the honeycomb wheel covers. After the full-size and mid-size cars were downsized, I never really liked any of the FWD GM cars after that, they just became appliances.

When I got my first job, I traded in the '77 Impala I had been given eight months earlier, on a new '81 Monte Carlo, two-tone light jade over dark jade, 267 V8, positraction, no air...rather unusual combo even then. My dealer located it for me at another dealer in Clearfield, PA. Sticker price was $8,192.00. It was stolen a year and a half later and they never located any of it. I think my folks were sore that I was trading in their college present, but I tried to tell them there was no way I could have afforded the new car without their gift as a trade!

Bill Pressler Kent, OH

Reply to
billslark

Only new car I ever owned was a 1978 Plymouth Volare slant 6 4 door. I had to trade it in for a 1980 3/4 ton dodge truck to pull a delivery trailer. I was the Deere CP dealer for several years. I have not bought another NEW vehicle since. Lots of used ones though. Lady down the road has my old car and 3 or 4 kids. She has over 250k+ on the Volare..........not much left of the interior but that slant six keeps going and going and going................. Jim in the Republic of Texas

Reply to
8Njim

First new car was an 87 Shelby Dodge CSX. Paid $17K for it. #491 of 750 made. Intercooler, stage3 turbo, Getrag gearbox, big rotors and brakes. Ran well, after I put the 'track version' computer module it it flat flew. Upped the turbo boost from 7# to 15#, if you hit the power band in

2nd while in a turn the torque steer would almost rip the wheel out of your hands.

Pat Drnec