saginaw P/S help

anyone got a pic of a '55-58 C-K with Saginaw P/S that can tell me how the pressure hose is routed? I'm trying to get my car hooked back up and for the life of me I can't get that hose routed so it doesn't have a big loop or kink in it. Shop manual pic looks like it's for a sedan or something. I just ASSumed that I'd be able to figure it out easily, but I can't. Car had some homemade hose on it before that guess what, had a big kink in it, so I don't have any reference. I got what should be the right stuff from Lee because he said it all came off a '55 coupe, but it doesn't want to cooperate with me.

thanks,

nate

Reply to
N8N

I'm guessing that the hose is the same for a sedan vs c/k. If true, the c/k would have to have a loop to accommodate the set back of the engine. Yes?

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Parts listing shows all hoses the same for V8 or 6cyl., but different pressure hoses for sedan and C-K. In the 1953 Hydraulic Power Steering Supplement there is a picture that isn't in the other manuals. It shows the hoses in a Champion, and at a different angle. Also, notice in the shop manual picture it shows a couple clips that help route the hoses. Weren't your 'new' hoses used long enough to take a 'set' in their previous configuration?

Reply to
Dwain G.

I would think so, but it's a serious loop. I found a pic of a '55 Prez coupe on eBay and the pressure hose appears to turn down right behind the pump. The one I have has about 3" of steel line sticking out of it (which the car in the pic does not) meaning that I would have to either bend it in half and stick it under the clip, or else find an alternate routing for it, which doesn't appear possible without running the risk of hitting the manifold. Can anyone with an original C-K confirm that the hose is run under a wire clip bolted to the rack cover, and does it have the same metal tube that I do?

At this point, I'm going to have a new hose that I already had made shortened by the 3" length of the steel tube and use that, unless someone tells me not to.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I would just have it shortened to suit. There's no danger of it getting caught in anything and besides, the cars already modified...

JT

Nate Nagel wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

I had new hoses made up for my '55 sedan but removed the system because I could not find the correct steering column boot. I purposely had the return hose made extra long so that I could utilize a GM power steering cooler in that circuit. Now, I believe that SI has repro boots available and am thinking of reinstalling the system. Power steering on a sedan would be very nice...

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

I believe that the manual Saginaw was only used on Champions (non variable ratio).

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

I believe you're right, but that's the steering box I'd want if I were going to swap.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I used a saginaw box from a late Lark and used a rag joint to keep my original column in my 53 coupe It steers great no need for power steering.

Reply to
Jerry Kaiser

Thanks Jerry, is there anything you can tell us about fabricating the rag joint? Things like how it's fastened to the shaft and how much you cut off of the steering column. Did you use an Avanti type spacer/bushing?

JT

Jerry Kaiser wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire