Saturday Follies.

Another nice warm Spring day here. Went to a local farm auction, and came away empty-handed. No Studebakers seen.

Once I got home from the auction sale, I went to work, resuming my welding job repairing a body crossmember in the old Flxible motorcoach. Last two stints of doing that brought on a sudden cold snap, but it looks like the jinx is broken now.

I welded up a broken bolt which attaches the front spring hanger to the frame; the bolt was stripped, and the nut had rusted away, but the bolt could not be removed without taking the spring out. Didn't want to go there, so I simply welded over the stub of the bolt, essentially making a rivet of it. Then I drilled another hole above it, and installed another 1/2" bolt and nut, so there should be plenty holding the spring hanger in place, now.

I used a scrap of metal from an old Studebaker body to patch a thin spot in the brace attached to the spring hanger (mandatory Stude content ), and then got out the can of POR 15 and painted all the newly-welded area, and any of the structural iron I could reach in and around the bay for the slide-out light plant, which item I removed to gain access to the rusty crossmember. So that area of the rusty crossmember is now done, except for the outermost end, where it ties in to the vertical rib that supports the outer skin of the vehicle. And the middle section, between the two frame rails must be done, too. But I've finished the hardest part to reach.

Yesterday, I got some satin black rattle can paint on the rear brake backing plates for a disc brake car that got I got from Keith Brooks, and had cleaned up with the bead blaster. They look just like brand new, now, and the "Bendix" script is readily visible on them.

Back at it tomorrow, weather permitting.

Gord Richmond

Reply to
Gordon Richmond

repairing a

brought on a

could reach

bead blaster.

Weather did permit, sort of. A couple of showers came through, followed by a cold front, but it looks nice now at sunset.

I got the entire crossmember finished on the Flxible, using a piece of 1 1/2" square steel tubing to mend the center section, and a strip of sheet metal to fix the right hand side, which was only mildly damaged by rust. Everything's solidly welded in place now, except for the outermost ends of the crossmember, where it ties in with the inner skin panel; I'll leave that task for a future session. I've dealt with the area that got dinged on my safety report, at least insofar as this crossmember is concerned. I see a short one under the right side fuel tank that needs a little help, and there are some up near the front that need done, too. But one nasty little job is done.

I came in and made myself some supper. As I was sitting at the table eating, I noticed some movement in the next field to the south. Spotted a small herd of pronghorn antelope cavorting in the light of the setting sun. Cool!

Gord Richmond

Reply to
Gordon Richmond

repairing a

brought on a

could reach

plates for a

bead blaster.

square steel

hand side,

dinged on my

short one under

Did you fill the freezer?

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

No, they were out of season (and range).

Gord

Reply to
Gordon Richmond

repairing a

brought on a

could reach

plates for a

bead blaster.

square steel

Got some more work done Monday,and again today. Now the entire rear crossmember (that being the one immediately in front of the rear wheels) is done, and both crossmembers that support the right side fuel tank. I honestly don't know why the right side tank never fell out onto the road. Those crossmembers were THAT bad. The left side tank has been mended with hunks of steel angle that bridge across the rusty bottom of the crossmembers. Maybe I'll leave well enough alone there, or else try to patch around the existing repairs to make it look better. The crosssmembers, or outriggers (?) also appear to support the side walls of the body to some extent. The whole bus is actually a unibody, with the frame rails welded into the body structure.

I moved forward from the right side fuel tank to the spare tire carrier. The bottom and sides of the box were pretty well riddled with rust; I took the bottom right out and turfed it. Fortunately, the tire carrier has a skeleton of steel angle and channel members, and it will be pretty easy to make it strong again, and weld a new bottom and sides into it. Once that's done, I have to move forward of the front axle to find another crossmember. So I'm gaining on it.

Gord Richmond

Reply to
Gordon Richmond