Sealing up new sheet metal

I got my new hood and fenders from SASCO today and wow does Dennis do one heck of a job before he ships big parts out. The fender boxes wer pretty much just the main flats of the boxes but my hood box was intact. They layered everthing and then stuffed in thirty pounds of shredded paper. I sure was impressed when i opened the main box to take a look see at my new forty year old parts.

So now is POR the best stuff to seal up those front fenders to keep the water out or is there something else that works just as good? I don't want to have to do this again in my lifetime and I sure don't want the typical bubbles showing up fifteen years from now.

Reply to
Studebaker Kid

scuff them down iinside & out with fine wet sand paper, then use epoxy or urethane primer & top coat with the paint you are using on the rest of car.

BH

Reply to
Barry

Yes but that wont really seal the folded part of the fender where Studebakers start to rust. The old stuff kep the fold sealed and that is what I want to do with the new metal.

Reply to
Studebaker Kid

After prep I used a tube of urethane on each fender the kind glass installers use on modern cars. Seems to work well

Reply to
Jerry

ISTR someone suggesting "melting" roofing tar into that area with a torch. Maybe I read that in an old TW. Seems like a good idea although it can obviously only be accomplished with the fenders off the car. I like your idea too Jerry. I think on my 56J I used seam sealer to seal that area up, I figured it would at least keep moisture/mud from getting thrown into that area from the tires.

nate

Jerry wrote:

Reply to
N8N