Space Shuttle Atlantis (02-08)

Shuttle went up safely today. Watched the launch on NASA TV and the Internet. Went out to see it go by. Couldn't see it during the boost phase (could see that at night)... But could see it as it passed by. Looked like a jet airliner without the contrail. A real, real FAST jet airliner .. Considering I am 275 miles north of the Kennedy Space Center, that's a pretty good sight line. Jeff (But it was much better to watch when I lived 60 miles from the launch pad)

Reply to
DEEPNHOCK

You dog. I'm jealous.

Reply to
zoombot

Every one of these launches are a triumph of science over obstacle.

I remember when I worked on Kwajalein and marveled at each Spartan and Sprint launch back in the 1970's.

Pretty awesome stuff!

JT

DEEPNHOCK wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

I thought they launched to the East?

Reply to
ALEX M.

Not when they are going to the ISS. It has a more polar orbit, and they launch more to the northeast. They fly right up the east coast. Might be a Russian thing, because they used the same trajectory for the Russian space station flights of a few years ago. Jeff

Reply to
DEEPNHOCK

Thanks, Very interesting.

Reply to