Anti-social vehicle - test case

Just to let you folks know that I've earmarked a vehicle to pursue a 'test case' against anti social noise.

The car is a BMW 325 that has been obviously modified to generate an anti social level of noise, and create the maximum disturbance to the community. It uses my street as a rat run.

I'll take the details to the police tomorrow and see what they can do

-if not them, environmental health. It will be interesting to see what (if anything) can be done. I'll document the case and put it on the internet- charting and tracking progress, setbacks, successes, etc.

It will be interesting - if nothing seems to happen, it should be a wake up call that something needs to be done. These twerps are increasingly imposing their own brand of unnecessary aural excrement on the rest of us without our consent. At least we have a bedroom that doesn't face the main street, so we can escape at night - our elderly neighbours aren't so lucky - they have to put up with it all night.

This particular sexual inadequate must live _somewhere_ and must be blighting the lives of many other perfectly innocent people more frequently than us. So hopefully if we can shut him down we'll be helping others - though I'm not optimistic.

I do hope we'll get the support in this of the decent members of the car modification community whom I am sure don't approve of such pathetic behaviour.

Reply to
mark james

Very best of luck with this.

Let us know how it goes.

Reply to
JNugent

Sad. Surely there are more important things in life to get worked up over?

Hellraiser...........>

Reply to
Hellraiser

Hopefully the police will have the time to spare to do you for harrassment, you prat.

Let's go back to the good old days of the clatter of horse hoof and rattle of steel bound wooden wheels upon the cobbles, that's what I say!

Do you ever mow your lawn? I suffer from hayfever, so if you do, and you live near me, you're blighting my life. Maybe you stand in the middle of supermarket isles to pass the time of day with people you haven't seen for at least 6 hours. Point is, everyone does something that's bound to piss at least one other person off. It's what happens when people live in large groups, such as towns and cities.

I don't approve of someone trying to force their ideals on others in the name of freedom. FWIW, I suffer from chronic insomnia, and live in a ground floor flat, with my bedroom window opening straight onto the pavement, the road is a mere half a dozen yards away, it gets quite busy as there's a chipshop close by, and there's a speedbump virtually right outside. However, only a handful of times have I really been bothered by noise, usually a loud stereo of someone parking to buy a bag of chips, and a couple of times by a car alarm. Sometimes I hear people slamming their car doors first thing in the morning, but I can hardly start persecuting them for getting in their cars to go to work at 6am, can I?

I think there are some very sad bastard cars out there, and some of them more than likely shouldn't be on the road, but I don't think some beaky busy body should be judge and jury on the matter.

Reply to
Stuffed

In article , snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

If the car is genuinley as bad as you say, I wish you all the best.

however, I don't think you will have much luck, as they haven't fitted microphones to cameras yet (speed or CCTV), so it is doubtless that a police officer will ever witness it.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

If the car is genuinely as bad as he says, then I'd be quite surprised it's not been noticed before. I've known some pretty loud cars, owned one or two, and never had more than a cursory question from an officer after being pulled for a spot check one night. Chances are at most the car has a slightly louder exhaust system, and the driver doesn't tootle around in fifth at 20mph.

There are worse things than a bit of noise. And I speak from the point of view of someone who is rather noise sensitive at times :(

Reply to
Stuffed

No. Not really. And anyway, I'm not worked up. I'm just fed up to the back teeth with selfish, self centred, egomanic, ill mannered socially inadequate reprobates, whose only desperate method of self expression is driving loud cars, subjecting peacable, decent, reasonable, well mannered people to their sad vehicles.

It's no more unreasonable that doing something about any anti-social behaviour, including louts vomiting in your doorway, or criminals throwing litter or dumping rubbish in areas of beauty, or the lawlessness that seems to be infecting just about every town and city in certain places and /or at certain times.

It's about reclaiming our public places and spaces for people who know how to behave, and for the rights of people who know what it is to respect themselves and others. If all of us did something, no matter how small, to stop the rot, this country might be a fit place to bring your children up in once more.

Reply to
mark james

I doubt it. I'll just explain to them what the problem is, and ask them if there's anything they can do. I suspect not however. Then I'll move on the the environmental health.

No. Let's not. Let's move forward to cleaner, more efficient and less noisy vehicles. A lot of progress has been made recently in noise generated by vehicles. Sad that some cretins seem to be undermining it.

It's about the intentions. It's like mobile phones. Mobile phones p*ss a lot of people off, including me, even though the person on the phone might not be making any more noise than if they were speaking to the person next to them.

See the 'quiet carriage' on trains? It's actually not about 'quiet' at all. You can talk to whoever you like. It's about not imposing anti-social noise pollution on others.

The point about twerps in anti-social vehicles is that they go out of their way to p*ss people off. Its not even a side effect of another activity. I accept that all cars make _some_ noise. I can live with that. I can ever deal with my neighbour's Morris Minor that makes a clatter as it goes down the street. Hell, I even quite like it. I can deal with the students next door that party into the early hours on a Friday night. That's life in a city. I don't want to turn it into a church. But why does sad boy in his modified twerpmobile feel the need to shove his noise down my throat?

If he wants noise, he can have it. Headphones are cheap. It's not too hard to mix the noise of a broken exhaust pipe and some inane dance music into an MP3 file and play it back to yourself. It's a bit of a no-brainer really.

Why is one twerp's 'freedom' to behave anti-socially more important that the freedom of hundreds of other people not to listen to the obnoxious sound of his deep idiocy?

I'm not suggesting I am, or should be. I suspect that there are LOTS of people out there, who, for one reason or another, find this kind of anti-social behaviour unacceptable. The clamour to do something about yobbish behaviour is getting louder and louder. I'm just prepared to do something about it.

There are precendents. I live in Edinburgh. Ten years ago, we had a couple of Firework displays a year. It was great. It was fun. Then, every year, more and more f*ckwits got it into their heads to start setting them off almost year round. It was like Sarajevo. It was hell. I remember, one night I'd had enough, and phoned the police. They told me they couldn't handle the number of calls they'd had about them, and suggested that I petition my politicians. I didn't but others did.

Now, we have legislation in place, limiting the sale of fireworks to a flea's chuff of Guy Fawkes night, and imposing massive fines and/or a 6 month sentence on those that break the law.

Now tell me, why should we tolerate twerp in his Anti Social Vehicle, any more than we should tolerate twerp setting off fireworks outside Guy Fawkes night?

So I believe that we could, with a bit of effort, get some serious legislation in to control and penalise anti-social vehicles and their owners. And I'll do my bit.

Reply to
mark james

In article , snipped-for-privacy@theworld.com spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

Couldn't agree more.

in fact, I'm one of the advocates that think noisy exhaust can actually sometimes save lives, like the plebs who step out without looking wearing headphones, or focusing on texting.

Sometimes the noise is the only thing that rouses them from their slumbers.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

So you never did anything as a teenager that your parents generation found similarly annoying?

Oh please f*ck off you sanctimonious prat.

Reply to
Conor

Well, to be fair, you could just get out more...

Reply to
Dan405

Last year, the police blitzed car crime with their Operation Bumblebee etc. etc. This year they are concentrating on anti-social behaviour. Next year it'll be something else.

So if anyone else out there has anti-social behaviour blighting their neighborhood, this is the year to complain to the police -- they're geared up to tackle it and are more likely to do something about it this time.

Reply to
Marc Brett

Sleep deprivation is quite serious.

Reply to
Peter B

LOL, Conor and I agree on something - this day must be declared a public holiday :)

Hellraiser............>

Reply to
Hellraiser

Get a yellow jacket and stand on the pavement with a timing light pointing down the road, just as the offending vehicle passes. Do that a few days running and see if he doesn't stop coming down your road.

Reply to
Mark W

You could even try a dark coloured hairdryer. He's not going to study it in detail. I once had a bloke slow down while I was using an ordinary 35mm camera to take photos of a building from across the road.

Reply to
Brimstone

FUCK ME!!! christ sakes shut the f*ck up, get a life, get some material and go beat one off.

Reply to
Theo

I was once writing down some details of an event off a poster and a driver pulled up and aggressively yelled he wasn't doing anything wrong and why was he being reported.

John B

Reply to
JohnB

Well about 15 years ago I had my exhaust start blowing on the way to work. I ordered a new one for collection that evening. As I parked up outside the motor parts shop to collect it, I had a police car (not traffic) pull up behind me, "Do know your exhaust is making excessive noise sir?" "Yes, it went this morning." I said, "I'm just going in here to collect one I ordered at lunchtime". "Very good sir, please fit it as soon as possible".

Now days they are too busy doing overtime on Fri and Sat night to bother with day time or week night policing. That's why car park competitions to find out who's ICE is the loudest are usually Tue's night, no drunks in town so no cops.

Peter Hill

Which sort of uniform were you wearing?

Reply to
Brimstone