Spark Plugs for 56 Power Hawk

Hey all,

It's been awhile since I've posted here. The kids have been keeping me busy (added another just last week) and I got really sick in Jan. so I've been away from Studebaker related stuff for awhile. Anyway, I've been having some problems with fouling out plugs on my 289 v-8 (YJ12's or something like that) and the guy working on my car suggested a hotter plug. I picked up a set of plugs with everything the same as the originals but these are 14's (NAPA guy said they were slightly hotter). I just wanted to check with you guys to see if this move will be ok or if I'm making a mistake to run hotter than the original specs. called for. Thanks in advance for your help.

Steve

Reply to
Steve and Amy Bernth

did you "read" to plugs to determine fouling issue? (too much fuel, too little fuel, oil use, etc?) I do not believe using the hotter plug will cause an issue but highly suggest ID'ing the source of the issue (carburetor issues, poor ignition output, oil control, etc) and doing corrective maintenance as the plug change is a bandaid on a festering wound.

Reply to
oldcarfart

I agree, but I have also heard that a) plugs are coming through "cooler" than they used to - i.e. an engine that used a RH14YC in the past might use a RH18YC now b) unless this is an R-series engine a J12Y was probably too cold to begin with, and is the wrong reach.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel