Steering

Went to FLAPS today. Got me a remanfactured power rack & pinion. It was listed as being for a Skyhawk. But it bolted right on Leo. Pix later.

Reply to
Jerry Forrester

Jeff Rice

I figured as long as it has 'Hawk' in the name it would be alright.

Reply to
Jerry Forrester

Looks comfortable in there. The steering joint shaft looks good (read that 'not contorted')... But those engine mounts.....gasp! Jeff

"Jerry Forrester" wrote...

Reply to
Jeff Rice

Those engine mounts????? I have an engine that looks just like a McKinnon engine, but it's an '86 year model and has 350 CI with a tuned port injection system. Should work pretty good with the 5 speed tranny and the 4.56 gears in the rear end.

Reply to
Jerry Forrester

Oh! The humanity!

"Jerry Forrester" wrote...

Reply to
Jeff Rice

gosh......don't you think you should clean-up that chasis a little bit? damn!

Reply to
Itsfrom Click

Interesting set up... One question, did you retain the original steering knuckles? I'm wondering about geometry..

JT

Jerry Forrester wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Jerry flunked geometry in seventh grade, right after he found out about girls...

"Grumpy AuC> Interesting set up... One question, did you retain the original

Reply to
Jeff Rice

Using original upper & lower control arms and original king pins and spindles.Quick steer arms are from SI. Set up has less bump steer than the original suspension/steering. I have this same setup on another '53 Coupe project and I can roll it around a tight (spindle tight against the steering stop) circle on asphalt and neither inner nor outer tire scrubs on the pavement. So there.

Reply to
Jerry Forrester

Sounds great! Now the only question I would have, would it possible to still use a Stude engine?

I sure looks like a clean installation... If only it could be fitted to a T-cab...

JT

(99% pure like Ivory Snow but the friggin' bar still sinks...)

Jerry Forrester wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Jerry-How is the oil pan going to clear the rack?

Reply to
Mertz Racing

Yes, it'll work with a Stude engine. And I think I saw a T-cab in South Bend a year or so ago with with the original axle with a R&P power unit on it. The good thing about this rack is, the inner tie rod attaches to the center of the rack and the original Stude tie rods are used. If I were to use one on a T-cab I would mount about a 4 foot long bracket on the rack and use very long tie rods.

Reply to
Jerry Forrester

Nice looking setup. When you finish it would be nice to see some picture from underneath showing how it mounts to the frame and how much clearance there is from the oil pan.

Reply to
Alex Magdaleno

I'll get some pix on the frame mounts the next time I have on the lift. jf

Reply to
Jerry Forrester