"studebaker" lettering paint - where can I get it? application tips?

The "Studebaker" letters in the grille of my Speedster need to painted the correct color white. Anyone know where I can get this correct color paint? And, has anyone done this job before? Any tips on how to apply the paint so I don't screw it up would be most appreciated! :) Jim Pascale

Reply to
jimpascale

A kind NG member emailed me offline & said the correct color is "shasta white". I did a google & came up with a paint code # of 8023. Is this all correct & if so where can I get buy this paint? Jim Pascale

Reply to
jimpascale

Jim, If you want a perfect job, here is how it's done and with what: The grille center needs to be off the car and tipped back so the letters are flat. Then use oil based house primer, such as Royal Shield from ACE Hardware, 218A100 White. The color is correct. This paint takes about 2 days to setup, but is easy to work with and flows out perfectly. Dab it into the letters with a q-tip or small brush. Push it into the corners with a combination of tooth-picks and the end of a cardboard match. I have found this to work even on a fresh replate and does not flake off, even after 6 years. It does not need to be top coated and covers in one pass. The advantage is you don't have to mask anything. If you get a stone chip, you can touch up the area, with a toothpick and have the paint flow right in, with the grill on the car. It will not liver-up around the repaired area. KK

Reply to
keith_kichefski

Thanks Keith! JIM KK

Reply to
jimpascale

Well, all I use is single stage DuPont. I use a striping brush, and "flow" it out good. Don't worry about any primers, or even getting some paint "outside" the lines after a day of drying use a shop rag that is DAMP with lacquer thinner and a small flat piece of wood, and wipe over the recessed areas. That will give it a nice edge and basically no clean up. Just be sure to clean out any wax or debris before dabbing in the paint. Also think about using Testers hobby paint, cheap and in small quantities.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Turner

Thank Jim. Great tips. Jim

Reply to
jimpascale

Does anyone know the name of the "Font" that the "Studebaker" writing is?

Rhonda aka Red2ubabe

Reply to
Red2ubabe

Reply to