Re: ...I'm insane. Cheap, insane and I'M GOING TO PAINT MY CAR MYSELF!

>system of primers. The paint should cost around 300-400 bucks right? >Then another couple hundred bucks for a random orbital sander, and a >decent HVLP spray gun.
Reply to
Braukuche

Not an insurmountable task. I painted my '73 baja with a few cans of Rustoleum and a paint gun. Didn't have a heap of dough to slap on it, but I wanted it to look good while not cringing when I crash through the underbrush. Wish I had a picture on the Web to show it off, but I did it in Red, White and Blue ? real patriotic. White overall with a few cool red and blue stripes. Looks fine, but when I stepped back, I realized the doors bear the French flag : 0 That aside, for being my first paint job, it looks pretty good. Just took a bit of putty, a few primer coats a LOT of wet sanding, and a good polish and wax when I was done. Now if only Rustoleum could clear up mechanical problems... Good luck.

-Wes

Reply to
Wes

My thoughts exactly......

~Anthony

Reply to
Anthony

When I did a DIY paint job a few years back, the mistake I made was to not apply enough paint. I used acrylic enamel, which had a lot of orange peel when I was done. Color sanding the paint made a tremendous difference, in that my final results looked very much like the original finish, minus the rust and dents. Had I applied a little more paint, the resulting thin spots would not have been an issue.

Don't know how this type of scenario would play out with bc/cc. In my own case, a 2-hour window of opportunity opened in mid-November to paint the car before winter(outside, no bugs, no dust storms.) Having to apply in 2 steps would not have worked in my case.

Had my respirator fit a bit better, and had my eyeglasses not fogged up as a result, I probably would have avoided the thin spots!

Al Adams

Reply to
Al Adams

Reply to
Braukuche

THe pre paint work is the most important. Even if you do the best paint job, in a few weeks you can have bubbles.. Get rid of every speck of rust. Prime any bare metal FAST. You can alway fix a bad paint spot. ROt is not fun. Joe

Reply to
Joe Cali Next Generation-usa

I always paint my own cars, and that way I get the paint job I want. They are at least 20 foot jobs.

Sluggo

Sweet. I've always wanted a bus painted like the mystery machine. :-)

Reply to
Shaggie