Timing change for altitude.

Anyone have a ballpark figure of how much the timing can be advanced if running a car at 3500 ft elevation?

Reply to
Alex Magdaleno

Maybe this will help:

WayneC

I don't remember screwing with the timing as much as the mixture, but higher altitudes used higher compression heads in the real old stuff so try 2 deg. at a time until it pings then back off one degree at a time until it's happy.

Reply to
oldcarfart

His car is from California.... It will never be happy Jeff

"oldcarfart" wrote...

Alex Magdaleno wrote:

Reply to
Jeff Rice

Reply to
Pat Drnec

Thanks for the replies. I'm only going to make one or at most two runs, so I can't experiment much.

Reply to
Alex Magdaleno

Ya, I'm sure there will always be a little wine

Jim Bartley on PEI

Reply to
George

Alex, when I was a kid living in Reno (4450ft), and we'd visit down to Sacramento (25ft), sometimes the altitude change so advanced the timing the starter wouldn't turn the engine. So we'd have to retard. I'm guessing a baseline of 1 degree per thousand feet is the way it worked the best. It has to do with barometric pressure. Kind of like tempearture decreases about 3.5 degrees per thousand feet of altitude gain. And it anybody thinks I'm wrong, just let them quiver with enjoyment, but I don't want hear about it.

Reply to
NVArt