trailer hitch ?

I am looking to put a Reese type hitch on my wifes 2002 Astro( of course not with the idea to tow studebakers..........)any way in the reese type am I looking at a class 3 or 4 and do I want the 1 1/4 size recceiver or the 2 in receiver preferably? I alway assume bigger is better is this the case and what is best for safe car trailer towing? thanks

Reply to
JTlark63

For a car hauler, I would use a 2" receiver, because the car & trailer will likely weigh over 6K # together.

Reply to
Barry

Bruce,

You definately want the 2" reciever! A 1 1/4 will not handle a car on a tandem axle trailer. Get the heaviest rating you can, its human nature to overload a trailer

BTW, any luck on hawk glass?

Thanks Kent

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
hawkman56

Since you say you are not going to tow a Stude, the 1-1/4" draw bar will handle anything a class I or II can throw at it (up to 2000, and

3500 pounds respectively) If you go with a class III (5,000 pounds or a class IV (10,000 pounds) they should automatically be a 2" tube.

Look here........

then look at the book in the Astro and see what GM says it iscapable of towing to be safe.

Lee DeLaBarre Daytona62

Reply to
Lee

GM says 5200# to 5500#, depending on the model.

"Lee" wrote...

Reply to
Jeff Rice

If it'd handle 5,ooo pounds, I'd be tempted to put the Class III on it with the 2" tube just in case you got gutsy and decided to pull up to the van's limits.

Lee DeLaBarre Daytona62

Reply to
Lee