Transmission buzz

1963 Cruiser, 2 barrel Automatic....When the car is in park there is a buzz from the transmission, if I put it in drive and hold the brake , no buzz. I seem to remember my old 61 Lark 6 auto had a similar buzz. Is this anything to be concerned about? Had it out on the highway this afternoon and took it up to 80 MPH.
Reply to
8Njim

Have you checked the transmission fluid level? Low fluid can cause a buzzing sound. Be sure to have the car and transmission fully warmed up, set the parking brake (or have someone keep a foot on the brake pedal), then check the fluid with the transmission in Drive. Paul Johnson

Reply to
Paul Johnson

hope I'm wrong, but in my experience a noticeable buzz is a sign that a pump is getting ready to go.

Reply to
Itsfrom Click

In my experience, most of the time it was slightly low fluid level(s) and other than that, I just turned the radio a little louder. Never experienced a flight-O-Matic failure...

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Based on a little experience with a remarkably similar transmission in a different brand of auto the low fluid buzz is usually heard with the trans in any gear and the buzz in park only is caused by the fluid dumping through the pressure relief valve. Usually doesn't cause any damage. Lamar

Reply to
wbutler

GO FIND A REPAIR MANUAL.

in my Hawk, the fluid in park is ABOVE the full line..

and buzzing means an adjustment in the settings-IIRR the front throttle linkage has a ABSOLUTE adjustment. done correctly, the buzz goes away. this adjustment IS done on the transmission BTW, too

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

OK based on what has been said here and a consult with a Stude/ Mopar guy in College Station.....I always prefer to start ith the basics first. New fluid, clean filter and adjust the throttle linkage. Thanks to all on this....it was so nice this week to be back behind the wheel of a Studebaker again. I have yet to exceed 80 MPH but that will come later.

Reply to
8Njim

my Hawk buzz was the front pump pressure setting.. it stopped when adjusted right.

--Shiva--

Reply to
me