Truck comes to life

Finally got the brakes and gas tank sorted out on the 3R11 yesterday - brakes were beyond junk, took a while to find everything. Got the tank repaired, sealed and painted, rebuilt the distributor while the rest was waiting on parts just for fun. Took it out yesterday and damn, that big

6 sure pulls nicely. Goes down the road well, decent ride despite the semi-loose front end. Dennis is sending the rod ends, kingpin kit etc, will rebuild the carb and sort out the oil leak in the meantime.

Has anyone modified the intake manifold on one of these to take a 2bbl? It looks like it wouldn't be tough.

Reply to
Pat Drnec

John Poulos

Those Commander sixes are WAY under-rated. They are very strong and very durable. Count the head bolts and look at the block skirt and tell me if you think that engine can come apart. Paul Johnson

Reply to
Paul Johnson

Reply to
Pat Drnec

Reply to
Pat Drnec

My son ran one of my Studebaker AFBs (I think a 500 cfm) on a Camaro 250 cid six-cylinder. With that and headers he blew away 289 Mustangs (imagine the embarrassment). Paul Johnson

Reply to
Paul Johnson

Reply to
John Poulos

Reply to
John Poulos

probably. I seriously doubt you'll ever get a 245 to rev as high as a

259 :)

nate

(but if you do, I wanna hear it! noth> If a 4bbl is over-carburetion for a 259, I'd guess a 2bbl would be about

Reply to
N8N

Reply to
mbstude

Lot's of 259 engines had four barrels beginnin with nearly all '55 Presidents. Just don't over carb them with over 500 cfm units... The

245 should run great with a two bbl carb. Hell, the straight eights were mostly 2 bbl in the 1930's.

JT

Pat Drnec wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Reply to
mbstude

The Marmon V-16 that was in my son's workplace had only a Stromberg

2-barrel. I sold the owner of the Marmon the aluminum intake manifold for it that I had plus one of the Strombergs (I kept one- it's so beautiful). Paul Johnson
Reply to
Paul Johnson