What is the best way to remove AC compressor from a 56 Pres?

I need to know the best way to disconnect the hoses so I can remove the compressor and condensor coils. The hoses run thru the right fender and I want to take the fender off for restoration. The car has been sitting for about 20 years without being run and I don't know if the system is still pressurized but I'm assuming that it is. I see what looks like two bleed valves near the top of the compressor where the hoses connect to the compressor. Is it safe to loosen them a little to allow the system to vent? Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Tim

Reply to
Tim Ulrich
20 year old hoses? cut them with a ratcheting PVC pipe cutter so you do not "accidenty" use them again.
Reply to
oldcarfart

I agree - cut the hoses. Also, I would be amazed if there were any R12 left in the system at all. I would, however, immediately wrap the ends with some tape to prevent contaminants from getting into the system.

Reply to
teddy bear

Thanks guys. That did it. I loosened the bleed screws and nothing came out. I then cut the hoses and it was all dry. I was able to get the compressor and condensor coils off and have one fender removed already.

Thanks again, Tim

Reply to
Tim Ulrich