Detensioning the A/C Compressor

Howdy,

To remove my belts, I have to detension the A/C compressor. Do I have to disconnect the A/C hoses to do this? What am I missing?

I have loosened the tensioner lock nut, and loosened the tensioner, but the compressor only moves about a quarter inch. I tried leveraging it with a 2x4 between it and the frame, but the engine mounts just absorb the leverage.

Somebody _please_ tell me there is a way to do this without taking apart the A/C system.

-Thanks in Advance!

-Matt.

Reply to
psyshrike

What Model Volvo ??

Reply to
G Klein

Assuming you have a B230 with the compressor low on the left side of the engine, there's a second nut that need to be loosened to allow the compressor to move, on the rear of the compressor. You need a 6" wobble extension or universal joint to access this nut from in front of the compressor.

Reply to
Mike F

Don't forget to loosen the second tensioner on the compressor. It is toward the rear of the compressor on a B230FT engine.

GMan

Reply to
GC

I'm assuming this is an older 240 or 760T? If so then you have a silly split pully on the crankshaft, remove the 6 bolts on the face and it comes apart, keep track of how many shims are in front and behind the pully half.

Reply to
James Sweet

Thanks!

That aught to do it.

Car is a 87 740 GLE. (For historical reasons.)

Reply to
psyshrike