Where do I look?

My engine builder friend is telling me to get specs for torque values, end gaps on rings etc for rebuilding a Stude R1 289. I am sure it is in one of the books, but can't seem to find it. Where would I find such info? Thanks. bs

Reply to
Brian Scott

In some of the older shop manuals the torque values were in their own tables in a special section of the shop manual. IIRC in the late shop manual the torque specs are simply given in the text of the appropriate section, as are the ring gaps.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Shop manual. BTW, your son was over with his new bride to be last night. You are getting a great daughter in law.

Brian Scott wrote:

Reply to
John Poulos

Brian,

The torques can be found in many places. I believe even one of the gasket makers has a handy little book with head, main and manifold values........it includes Studebaker!

As far as the ring end gap.....ONLY the ring manufactures spec. should be followed. There is a "standard" of .004" per inch of cylinder diameter...but there is many different ring materials used today! I follow "only" the ring guide of the manufacturer of the rings I am using.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Sounds like he is not familiar with Studebaker engines. Make sure he knows about the procedure for tightening the piston pin clamp screw tightly. There may be other Studebaker specific things to watch out for? Not sure on that, maybe someone here can point some others out.

Reply to
Alex Magdaleno