Windshield for '58 Hawk

Hey Fellas,

I have a '58 Golden Hawk and would like to replace the windshield and rubber. Mine looks like its been sandblasted, and it leaks.

1) Is there a preferred source for the glass or does it all come from the same manufacturer? $300-$350 sound about right?

2) Does the after market rubber fit correctly and is there a particular vendor who you guys have had good luck with. I had been told that the after market rubber sometimes is not exact and this one guy told me that he had trouble getting the stainless trim to stay in the groves in the rubber. Anyone heard of this problem?

3) Lastly, is this a reasonable thing to do yourself. A few of the local glass shops said they would do it, but didn't seem thrilled about it, and warned me that they could break the glass.

I am located in Maryland, 20 miles west of John P.

Thanks, Larry

Reply to
LarryK58GH

N8 and I installed a new windshield on my GT, piece of cake. Gasket fits fine, I get my glass from SI since he delivers it to many major flea markets. N* can give you some pointers, he's my glass guy.

LarryK58GH wrote:

Reply to
John Poulos

I replaced the windshield in my 58 Hawk. I got the rubber from Bob Kapteyn and the glass from Ted Harbit. It was not a bad job, you do need a helper and lots of foamy glass cleaner to lubricate the gasket. Everything just kind of slid into place. No problem and no leaks. Be sure to put the stainless in place before installing. MikeW

Reply to
Mike Williams