02/03 Impreza headlights hazing up ... PLEASE read

Will the lenses get too bad to pass safety inspection before the warranty is up? If I were in your position I would consider taking legal action and press for a recall.

I completely agree with you. It is ridiculous for a part that can have an impact upon the safe operation of the vehicle to not be covered by a warranty or a recall situation. What if you were to get into an accident due to reduced visibility conditions due to the lenses? I'm sure you could find an accident lawyer to eat that one up, but is that what it will take to get something to happen?

Reply to
Henry Paul

You can pick up some used light assy's for around $100.

When I took mine apart to paint the insides, I got a little haze but not much.

Reply to
L C

why has nobody suggested, or commented on, the idea of getting GLASS lenses made to suit... problem gone

i guess the cost would be prohibitive, initially..... but over the course of the lifespan of the vehicle, would probably be cheaper, not to mention safer, than replacing plastic lenses or entire assemblies as often as posters seem to be complaining about

Sp> Could you get a plastics shop to fabricate one for you? I have this done all

Reply to
Spinifex

Of course, the replacement cost when struck by a rock would require a plastic lens protector added to the front, which would have to be replaced when it started to yellow and haze....

I think the poster that commented on the use of ammonia based cleaners may be on to something. My lenses are not hazing, but as a motorcycle owner, I know better than to clean plastic windscreens and headlights with Windex type cleaners.

Reply to
Cam Penner

Just replace them. Ebay and WRX forums usually have some for sale now and then. Buddy has a set he got for $50. The same goes with the fogs. What you clean them with is the key.

Reply to
Vince C

Lodge your complaint completely, clearly and politely. Wait and see what happens. I still lean towards enviro or solvent based cause as haven't seen problem in Oz at all. In the meantime why not do a magnificent clean with Meguiars Plastx or whatever people are recommending that works THEN get a set of the adhesive protector skins that mold to shape on the cover & you trim the excess. That way, if it is an enviro or cleaning issue, it probably won't return and if it is a manufacturing fault that should prove it. (BTW the energy this thread has consumed could run a small town for 6 months) Good luck

Reply to
hippo