Clutch problem?

Fellow air-cooled drivers,

I drive a 1974 Super Beetle with everything stock and no modifications and a manual transmission.

Here are the two scenarios: I slow down for a light, downshift, and release the clutch. The engine "shudders."

I slow down for a light, downshift, rev the engine, and then release the clutch. The engine doesn't shudder.

Throwout bearing, disc, and plate are all brand new Sachs installed in February. I noticed the shuddering immediately and am just wondering if I should buy a whole new set.

Thank you

Reply to
azazel scratch

does your engine stall at idle if you let off the throttle quickly? if so, that could cause shuddering when downshifting...depending on how long you take to complete your shift....

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

sometimes the rear transaxle mounts go bad and will cause a similar problem. Check at vw-resource.com.

Reply to
Jim347a

Yes it does. Been there and done that. Also make sure the flexible outer clutch cable has a good bend in it. I added a couple washers to mine to get it just right. The good news is that this is a cheap fix that can be done with the engine in.

Tony

Reply to
Anthony W

It could also be a warped flywheel, I just went thru this with a customers 64 beetle.

Mario Vintage Werks resto

Reply to
Kafertoys

Thank you Joey, Jim, Anthony, and Kafertoys,

I installed new transmission mounts in 2000 and I had the flywheel professionally machined before installing the new disc and pressure plate. I have a good spare flywheel I can try but I wonder why the engine shudders only when I don't rev the engine before releasing the clutch.

Reply to
azazel scratch

that is why i asked about stalling....if your car is running really rich it can stall out when you suddenly chop the throttle.....that could cause a shudder...the reving would "clear" out the extra fuel.....

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

I cut washers into "U" shape to slip under the end of the "tube" saves a bit of work. Hint; Measure the "sag" of the Bowden tube. what should be about an inch. opps 25 mm.

Reply to
Crusader george

clutch cable tube loose or broken free crankshaft end play too great loose engine nuts/bolts

I think I may be covering what others have said esp about the mounts. ;-)

later, dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1