05 OBW Tire Info Question

After reading the recent Consumer Reports article on tires, I thought I'd check the Potenzas that came on my new O5 OBW.

All the info embossed on the tire sidewall corresponded with the info in the article except this:

After P225/55R17/95V, came M+S

Can't find anywhere what this means?

Anyone know?

Thanks, bob

Reply to
R. Gerard

Means Mud + Snow. However, it really means "All-Season" which are lousy in both mud and snow. Go figure...

Reply to
Paul

True snow/ice tires are also M+S rated, and by now would also have the "Severe Snow Conditions" rating, with the symbol of a snowflake inside a mountain.

Also - snow traction is heavily dependent on how much tread is left. True snow tires should be replaced long before the tread is heavily worn.

Reply to
y_p_w