1998 Forester-What is this part called and do?

Hi All,

I'm trying to find out what this component of the air intake is called and what does it do? See picture site below. 1998 Forester 2.5L.

Here is the URL of the picture:

Thanks , Ajay

Reply to
AJay

that's a resonator or something I think - noise cancelation I guess.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Oh, my. I think Sigmund Freud could answer that question best.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

wrong mounted? this component on my Forester 99 points the other side and downwards.

Wilco

"AJay" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
Wvd

On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 19:09:19 +0200, "Wvd" wrote: Thanks for the response Wilco. That tube is pictured in the 1998 Legacy manual in the same position as mine. Also the bottom side of the tube is formed so as to accomodate the spark plug wires to pass below it. It might be the case that it really doesn't matter what position it is in.

I wonder if Subaru knows what it is for! :)

Ajay

Reply to
AJay

On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 00:02:32 -0400, Carl 1 Lucky Texan wrote (in article ):

I believe you're close to the answer. My guess would be that it has to do with tuning the intake so that when pressure waves bounce back and forth they arrive at the intake valve just as it opens. Or maybe not.

Reply to
John Varela

AJay wrote in news:esudb2pt16msbkdca89elosmg9u9v3ko00@

4ax.com:

It is a resonator chamber. AFAIK, it is to help damp out pulsations in the intake air flow and make the readings from the MAF sensor more accurate.

Later, Joe

Reply to
Joe Kultgen

Thanks Joe. I appreciate the information. Have a good day.

AJ

Reply to
AJay