1998 Outback front end noises

Help, I have a 1998 Outback and the other day I heard a POP sound that came from the front end (likely left, front tire). A couple days later I was driving and all of the sudden a popping or maybe clicking sound started. It also was coming from the front. I thought it would be a CV joint, however, it was only happening when I was coasting or had the accelerator down slightly. When I accelerated harder or applied the brakes the sounds stops. The sound can be felt through the steering wheel if that makes a difference...

My shade tree mechanic says it's probably the tranny, I'm hoping for other ideas. Anyone?

Reply to
Seaaggie

This is not a joke.

I heard a couple of loud pops the other day while parking. I got out and looked and found I had run over a couple of walnuts.

Hope you're as lucky.

Reply to
Jim Stewart