1999 Outback--Interference engine?

I just bought a 1999 Subaru Legacy Outback with 112,000 miles on it. I am worried that if it has an interference engine, I need to know at what mileage the timing belt was changed. Depending on where I ask or look, I can get either answer: yes it does, or no it doesn't. Can anyone help me?

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Edward Hayes

Yes, your car has an interference engine. The timing belt needed to be changed at 105,000 miles - check your owner's manual! As someone else suggested, it's wise to change the water pump and seals while the timing belt is off. Some would go so far as to also change the oil pump. As far as whether your car's timing belt was changed before you bought the car, we obviously can't answer that. -LK

Reply to
L. Kreh

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Thank you for the information. I have studied the owner's manual, and as far as I can see, there is no mention of timing belt replacement. I may be missing it somehow. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ As far as whether your car's timing belt was changed before you

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Obviously, that will be MY responsibility. All I meant by the remark was that knowing I have an interference engine, I have to be sure not to just wait until I need to be towed. Thanks again for the help.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

The info is not in the Owner's Manual proper, but in a little supplemental booklet called maintainance schedule or something like that.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

and at

John Rethorst