2000 Forester

I was told today that the head gasket was seeping a little. What does that mean? Is this a major repair bill in the works?

Reply to
shadowsmom via CarKB.com

Quite possibly. If you have maintained it per Subaru's requirements, which includes adding the Subaru conditioner ("stop leak") at coolant changes, the head gasket is covered up to 100,000 miles.

Reply to
Tom Bavis

Welcome to the club. Chock full of tips on making Subaru address the problem.

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

Reply to
shadowsmom via CarKB.com

Reply to
shadowsmom via CarKB.com

Deosn't it piss ya off?

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

Got my heads rebuilt by a local independent mechanic for $1800, and the head gasket used was an aftermarket one. Supposedly they don't have the same problems as the OEM subies? We'll see.

That's what, about 3 car payments on a new Outback?

If it's just an external weep issue, keep feeding it coolant. If there's an internal breach (there's a dye test they can do for this) then if you don't fix it you'll kill your rings and then you'll really have big expense.

How far past 100k? Open a case with Subaru, take it to a Subaru dealer to have them Dx and they may help with the cost, or fix it for free as it's quite a known issue.

Best Regards,

-- Todd H.

Todd H.